Chapter 66

A/N: This chapter contains mature content. I will indicate where it starts with ------------------------ and indicate where it ends with ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ so if you want to skip this section you can.

Vincent Kinsington

"Is that the last of it?" Gareth asked as I handed him the box. He was in the back of the moving truck filled with Chet's bed, dresser, desk, two little end tables and the boxes full of our stuff. Mostly Chet's things. I didn't have much.

"Yeah," I said.

Mateo and Gareth hopped out of the back. Alex took a step back as they did so. "We'll meet you there then," Mateo said. He went to the driver's side of the truck and Gareth went to the passenger side. Chet was inside the house making one last scan around his bedroom. If he had missed anything, we could easily come back for it.

"I'll wait in the car," Alex said. He went to his car at the curb and got into the driver's seat.

It was my day off and I was tired from work and school, but I was ready for this move. I hoped Chet picked up the condoms and lube like he said he was going to. I hadn't had a chance to confirm today since we had been so busy. Finally, tonight we would be alone in our own apartment and hopefully not too tired from the move.

I went back inside. Nate sat on the couch. Nat stood by it. Their eyes followed me as I went to the empty bedroom. Chet had his school bag open in his arms. He stuffed the bag of toiletries into his backpack and then zipped it up. I retrieved my own backpack that was on the floor by the door.

"Ready?" I asked him.

He nodded, but looked around the empty room.

"This feels weird," he said.

I took his hand in mine, but didn't rush him. He led me back out into the living room. Nat's hands were entwined together in front of her. Nate stood up when he saw us.

Nat's eyes welled up with tears and she closed the distance quickly to wrap Chet in a tight hug.

"It's okay, mom," he said and patted her back. "We'll come back for dinner sometimes. It's not like I'm moving across the country."

"I know," she said quietly.

Nate came forward and hugged me. "You are always welcome to come back and live here if you need to, Vincent," he told me.

"Thank you," I said.

Chet's parents crossed each other so she was now hugging me and he was hugging Chet.

"You got your pans?" Nat asked me.

"Yes," I assured her. "They are packed away on the truck."

"Don't hesitate to ask us for help," Nate said to Chet.

"I'm not the type to hesitate," Chet said.

They took a step back and just stared at us. I wasn't sure how to break this moment so we could just leave.

"Kanni," Nate called out. "Come say goodbye."

Kannika walked out of her bedroom. "They are leaving now?" she asked as if she didn't just hear our entire conversation. She wasn't fooling anyone. She gave me a hug first and said, "Come back soon and make your spaghetti and meatballs."

"I will," I said. I would miss the family dinners here. They were a lot different than my own family dinners.

"And you," Kannika said as she hugged Chet. "Keep this one because he is now my brother and I like him more than you."