Chapter 37

Vincent Kinsington

"Why are we doing this again?" I asked Alex.

"Because Mateo and I are going to get an apartment together at the beginning of next month and I want to get a start on looking for the right apartment."

"You also said he insisted on paying half the rent," I said, "and he can't afford half the rent here."

We were at my apartment complex waiting for the manager to come out of her office so she could show us the 1 bedroom for rent.

"That's true," Alex relented, "but someday he might be able to afford half the rent. Just indulge me. I want to look at the luxury apartments I can't have yet."

"Fine," I said.

The manager came into the lobby at that moment. She smiled grandly when she saw us. She was always pleasant.

"You said you were looking for an apartment to share with your boyfriend?" she asked Alex but her eyes drifted to me.

"I'm not the boyfriend," I said.

"No, he's my friend," Alex said. "My boyfriend couldn't make it today."

"That explains it. I was confused because Mr. Kinsington already lives here. Well, shall we look at it?"

Alex nodded his head eagerly. The apartment layout was exactly the same as mine. Alex and Mateo would obviously put their bed in the bedroom and not in the living room like I had. The tiles in the bathroom were blue and white instead of black and white like mine were. I preferred the black and white. Other than that, it was an exact replica of my apartment. We thanked the manager and went our own way.

"I wish Mateo could afford half the rent here," Alex said in his quiet voice as we made our way to the parking lot. "I think it would be fun to live near you. Especially if you started dating Chet. Then all four of us could hang out all the time."

A part of me did like the sound of that, but a bigger part of me wanted more private time with Chet than not. I agreed with Alex verbally though.

We got in his car and drove to the next set of luxury apartments. They made the assumption I was his boyfriend too. Alex made it clear that I was just a friend. Alex was looking at the bedroom in the second set of apartments when my phone beeped with a text.

Favoritesoccerplayer: IMU

Me: IMU2 good luck on your game

Favoritesoccerplayer: TY

Such a small missive, but it meant so much to me.

We were looking at the third apartment complex when my grandma called me. I stepped into the hall and answered. "Hi, grandma."

"Hello, Vinny. I've been waiting and waiting for you to bring that boy around, but you haven't."

I glanced back at the open apartment door, but Alex was completely focused on the apartment. He couldn't hear my grandma's side of the conversation anyway.

"Are you alone?" I asked her.

"Don't worry," she said. "No one is home right now but me. So when are you bringing him by. I really want to meet him."

"Soon, grandma," I said. "I haven't even told Alex about him yet."

"Really? I thought you told Alex everything. Okay. If that's the case I forgive you for not bringing your boyfriend by. Bring him soon though. Are you going to come home for dinner tonight? Jasmine is going to be here," she said that as if it was a great enticement to me. I liked Jasmine. That was why I didn't want her to go to family dinners. I worried every time that my mom would say some off handed racist remark and hurt Jasmine.