Chapter 69

A/N: This chapter contains mature content. I will indicate where it starts with ------------------------ and indicate where it ends with ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ so if you want to skip this section you can.  Because when it's chapter 69, you have to do it, right?

Chet Watakeekul

I watched Vincent as he worked, as he smiled and chatted with customers, as he laughed with coworkers. Maybe it took him so long to find a job for a reason - and not just because of his family. Maybe this job and this place needed him and he needed them and they just had to wait until they were aligned.

When it was his lunch break, he brought us both a waldorf chicken bagel sandwich. The turkey bagel sandwich was still my favorite, but since I came to eat here so often, we had to switch up the menu.

"What time do you get off work tonight?" I asked.

"Ten," he said. He sipped on his lemonade before he took another bite of his sandwich.

"Do you have homework you still need to get done?"

He nodded. "I'll just do it later either when I get home or first thing in the morning."

He looked at his phone and then went back to eating. "How was soccer practice?" he asked.

"Good," I said. "Robert got his third write up. Hopefully, he'll keep his mouth shut now. Or I wouldn't mind if he got kicked off the team."

"Third?"

"Yeah. The first was when he said something to me. The second time was when he talked crap to Mateo and today during practice, he called Devon the 'n' word. The coach flipped out on that one."

Vincent shook his head. "I hope he gets kicked off the team." He looked at his phone again.

"Are you expecting a call or something?" I asked him.

"I texted my grandma yesterday. She hasn't responded yet. Dean responded to my text though."

He flipped through his phone and then handed it to me. I sifted through their conversation. Vincent gave him an update on work, school and me and Dean told him how he was repairing the motorcycles faster than he thought, but didn't want to tell the person who hired him just to spite him. I handed the phone back to Vincent. "Are you worried about your grandma?"

He nodded, but didn't say anything.

"Maybe you should text Aiden then and see if he knows anything."

"Okay." He put his bagel sandwich down to type on his phone. When he was done, he set his phone done and finished his bagel sandwich. He walked me back outside when his lunch break was over.

People - mostly students - walked by us on the sidewalk. The air was starting to warm. I hoped that meant spring was on its way. Vincent gave me a chaste kiss goodbye and I started on my way when his phone beeped indicating he had a message.

I turned back to him. He had his phone out and was looking at the message.

"Is it Aiden?" I asked.

He nodded. "He says he is out of town on a business trip. Grandma isn't answering his texts either, but dad says she is okay. But dad also says to come home a day early from the trip and come to the house. Aiden says he'll go to the house first thing when he gets back tomorrow and let me know."

"Okay," I said.

"I really should get back to work," he said, but he leaned in and gave me one last kiss before he went back inside.