Reaction Paper: "Of Studies" by Francis Bacon

"Studying too much for ornaments is affectation."

This is one of the points raised by Francis Bacon to his written essay with the title "Of Studies". For me, I think Francis is pertaining to those who are studying too hard for ornaments like medals, certificates, and other awards that could cause affectation. But what is affectation? It is a behavior that is artificial to impress. Something that is not sincere.

Your purpose in studying will be affected. You will study hard not because that is what you want to learn, but instead, you will do it to achieve those awards to impress people. You are not studying for your own good, You are studying because you want to have the attention you seek and desperate for. It is also toxic to have this kind of mindset. Obsessing to these kinds of ornaments could affect you emotionally once you fail in attaining it.

Francis Bacon wants us to straighten our bent purposes when it comes to studying. We have to realize what is the essence of learning, it is better to study something you are passionate and it is better to discover and learn things you are genuinely interested in. Obsessing with too many ornaments is not good, because at the end of the day they will only be displays. It is okay to have a goal in achieving awards, but being obsessed about it is not a must. Don't let those ornaments manipulate why you should study hard and don't let it affect you. Study to improve your skills and to expand your knowledge. Study hard with a better purpose.