Literary Analysis: "Annabel Lee" by Edgar Allan Poe

This poem was narrated by a man who loved a girl named Annabel Lee and they lived in a kingdom by the sea. Their love for each other was intensely strong and powerful even though they were young. To the point, the angels from heaven envied them that is why they murdered Annabel Lee by making the clouds blew wind at night that chilled her to death.

The narrator was devastated but he didn't stop loving her. He believed that his soul was inseparable from hers. Every night he dreams of her as he sleeps beside her tomb.

This poem narrated a youthful love story of a man which is the persona and Annabel Lee who could be the addressee. I assume that the setting is in the kingdom by the sea which was repetitively mentioned in the whole text. This brings us to how Poe used repetition as a literary technique to highlight the name Annabel Lee and the setting. It was written in a formal writing style and was narrated from the first-person point of view. Meanwhile, the mode of the poem was nostalgic and grief because the narrator lost the love of his life and this was the conflict found in the poem.

There are a lot of themes found in this poem. It could be love or even death. In the poem, the persona describes their love as pure and beautiful but the story ended in grief and longing because of the death of his love. This poem shows how love in real-life situations could affect you. Just like how love could bring you in so much bliss but at the same time, it could leave you in grief like what the speaker experienced when Annabel Lee died.

——————————————————

Author's Note: I wrote this shortly last school year. I apologize for this is not a thorough analysis and for not citing lines from the literary text that could support my judgments.