Literary Analysis: "Self-Reliance" by Ralph Waldo Emerson

This essay talks about how a man should believe in himself. We should express our original thoughts to others. We shouldn't imitate or envy others. We should listen to the voice within us. But as we grow older, we let out selves be slaves of our society. We let ourselves be influenced bu the people around us and you suppress yourself.

But you don't need the approval of others before doing what you want. It may not be easy to follow your inner voice but it is better than live according to the public will. Conformity indeed turn your life into a lie. If you live according to other's opinion then you are not being true to yourself.

Consistency is also a problem. You're living your life according to you traditions, religions, or other sort of patterns which make yourself fear in breaking it. If you said something that is not consistent today, then you would be misunderstood. But that is okay because other great men were misunderstood before like Jesus and Socrates.

A true man will listen himself instead of doing the norm. Being self-reliant would create a better world.

This essay was written in a concise and formal and writing style with a figurative language. He also used his Latinized vocabulary and logical analysis. You have to read between the lines in order to understand the deep meaning of Bacon's worldly wisdom that is shown in his statements.

Francis Bacon believes that studies could help us succeed in life but he also believes that moderation is the best way to approach studies. He wants us to realize that we shouldn't only educate ourselves from books because our knowledge is perfected bu experience. Bacon also wants to guide us on how we could use our bookish knowledge in the situations we could experience in our life.

I think the theme of his essay is a balance of knowledge. Everyone has their own weaknesses and strengths in learning. Through the different branches of studies like the intellectual exercise and physical exercise, there will be a remedy in every defect of the mind by a proper choice of reading. Don't learn only from books, you also need experience. Focus on your weaknesses and develop them to attain a balance of knowledge.

——————————————————

Author's Note: I wrote this shortly last school year. I apologize for this is not a thorough analysis and for not citing lines from the literary text that could support my judgments.