Essay: What Reason Do You Have to Not Vote for Leni Robredo?

We have a week left before the 2022 elections begin. I've watched social experiments on Facebook which show that there are still voters who are undecided. Others have this great anger toward Leni for some reason. When I ask some people why they hate Leni, they call her "lugaw" or "luting". Do these people actually know who Leni Robredo is? Allow me to brief you about this presidential candidate who is highly qualified for the job.

Maria Leonor Santo Tomas Gerona Robredo, commonly referred to as Leni Robredo, is a Filipino lawyer, economist, politician, and government official. She is currently serving as the second woman vice president of the Republic of the Philippines. Robredo spent her childhood in Naga City, Camrines Sur. As a kid, she said that she was introverted and timid. She studies a lot and was known as the most hardworking among her siblings. In college, she graduated from the University of the Philippines Diliman and earned her degree on Bachelor of Arts in Economics in 1986, the same year when the EDSA People Power Revolution took place. During those times, she participated in a lot of demonstrations and these experiences gave her a strong urge to work in the government. Even though all her life the original plan was to go straight into law school, she did work as an economic researcher in Bicol River Basin Development Program. This was when she met her husband, former DILG Secretary, and former Naga City Mayor, Jesse M. Robredo. When they got married in 1987, Leni Robredo still pursued her ambition to be a lawyer. She studied law at the University of Nueva Caceres and graduated in 1992. She passed the bar exams in 1996 which was her second attempt.

Robredo was first introduced to politics in 1988 when her husband ran as the mayor of Naga City. She was a former public attorney and former private human rights lawyer. During this stage of her life, spent most of her time in jail for her clients. There was even a time when she and her family spent Christmas in jail because a client of hers gave birth on Christmas day. Unfortunately, in August 2012, her husband died in a plane crash. It was a difficult time for the Robredo family. Leni not only had to raise three daughters alone, but she also entered politics the same year. Before her husband died, they were preparing for the 2013 elections. His sudden death caused a ruckus which Leni tried to pacify as much as she can. She was asked to intervene and help address the unfinished plans left by her husband. All of a sudden, on the last day of filing, people were insisting that Leni should file for congress. Eventually, she won as a congresswoman of the third district of Camirenes Sur in 2013. During her time as a congresswoman, she passed seven laws and filed five bills. One of the notable laws she passed is the Republic Act of 10708, Tax Incentives Managemen and Transparency Act (TIMTA) which promotes transparency when it comes to taxation processes. Also, in 2015, she received an honorary degree, Doctor of Public Administration given by Polytechnic of the Philippines.

Three years later, in the 2016 elections, she ran for vice president and won. In 2017, she received two more honorary degrees: Doctor of Humanities awarded by the University of Saint Anthony in Naga City and Doctor of Laws by the University of the Cordilleras in Baguio City. She supported women empowerment and gender equality. During the pandemic, with limited resources, she and her staff still effectively executed pandemic responses. There was vaccination of drivers, dormitory, and free transportation for front liners, Bayanihan E-Konsulta, housing projects, etc. She also provided social services for the underprivileged such as feeding programs. TrabaHOPE, a job training for out-of-school youth in cooperation with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). She assisted the community and the micro-entrepreneurs. One of her greatest achievements is earning the Highest Audit Rating from the Commission on Audit (COA) and the Professionalization of the Office of the Vice President with an ISO Certificate.

                Honestly, the list goes on. What you have just read was only her notable achievements, she did so much more. Others may have underestimated her because she is a woman but she definitely proved them wrong. Robredo genuinely cares for the community because she witnessed and understood how life can be difficult for others. She is honest with her people and works very hard for them. Even before she was given the power of the second-highest position in the government, she spent most of her life in public service. She is dedicated to serving and helping her fellow Filipinos. She does not see these as her personal achievements, instead, she feels grateful to be given the opportunity to make a difference. Last year, when the 2022 elections were just approaching, people insisted again that she should continue what she began and she listened. She is now running for the highest position in the government. Now, tell me, what reason may you have to not vote for this strong woman?