Reaction Paper: "Propagate Gender Equality"

Author's Note: This is a reaction paper to Emma Watson's speech regarding gender equality. The video is available on Youtube. It'll be better if you watch that first before reading this. The link is found above. Gracias!

"Fighting for women's rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating."

This is one of the points raised by Emma Watson in her speech. Most countries in the world have a patriarchal society wherein men hold the primary power in leadership. This could be one of the major factors on why feminism is disregarded and has become an uncomfortable word for many. Others may find this wrong or unethical since a lot of people got used to a patriarchal culture.

"I think it is right that I am paid the same as my male counterparts. I think it is right that I should be able to make decisions about my own body. I think it is right that women be involved on my behalf in the policies and decisions that affect my life. I think it is right that socially I am afforded the same respect as men."

I think women have the right to demand gender equality. I agree with what Emma Watson emphasized in her speech. I believe that conforming ourselves to societal norms will make us dependent on culture, religion, and the like. It will only with-hold us to make decisions for ourselves. Gender should not be a basis to determine the privileges and rights of a person. Gender should not be a basis to estimate one's ability in making decisions. I admire people like her who are brave enough to voice their opinions to stop such system. I applaud people like her for inspiring people to speak up as well.

"When at 18, my male friends were unable to express their feelings."

Gender equality is not only an issue for women. It is also an issue for men. Men are expected to be strong and tough most of the time. Being weak should not be an insult if you are a male because weakness is what makes us human. I think that the idea of feminism will not only benefit women but also men. Thus, feminism is not similar to man-hating. We should not imprison ourselves to gender stereotypes. We must work together to propagate gender equality and attain freedom for both sexes.