Reaction Paper: "The Beauty of Failure"

This video was indeed inspirational and motivational. Tears pooled in my eyes as I listened to Denzel Washington, one of my favorite actors, in his speech. When I slowly discovered what I am passionate about, I was afraid to dream big and I doubted myself a lot. I was worried that what if I can't make it?

I didn't want to feel disappointed with myself then unconsciously pull myself down. I have done it before. I'm scared that I might do it again. But just like what Washington said, "Nothing in life is worthwhile unless you take risks". If I was afraid to fail, I was terrified to regret not trying. So I promised myself to not give up on my dream.

He said, "Fall forward", which means every try is a step closer to success. He is also right that "dreams without goals are just dreams". It means that there is no shortcut to your dreams. You need to set goals and slowly get closer to your destination. Not only that, but you also have to be consistent and patient by working harder in order to achieve it.; it may be a slow process but it's still a process. When I exactly did this, it helped me believe in myself more that someday I'll succeed. I know I might fail but I don't care because like Washington said, "failure is inevitable, embrace it".

In his speech, he is emphasizing how failure is the main key to success. Even if you have the talent to succeed, it's useless if you are afraid to fail. I also love how Washington conveys a powerful message through his question, "What are you going to do with what you have?". Being successful is not just about you. It is also about helping others by using your gifts. Being successful cannot only be determined by how much money you've earned, it's also about how many people you have served. Give your dream a purpose that could contribute to society and/or to the world.

The whole point of his speech is how we should accept failure with open arms. People from the youth often feel lost as they try to discover themselves. I also had a moment like that and I know how frustrating it is. But Washington said, "Sometimes failure is the best way to figure out where you're going". Failure might take you to a path where you are destined to be. Unexpectedly, it could give you the directions that would eventually lead to your success.

This is the beauty and abilities of failure. If you experience it, appreciate it, and don't be afraid of it. I believe that failure is God's instrument to grant us guidance. You just have to accept it and trust Him. If you're working hard, I'm sure He has big plans for you.