Chapter Thirteen-The fourth night

I've added The Doors' 1970 classic 'L A Woman' in the media section to the right. All of the songs in The Evil Inside novel pertains to love, loss, death, and scary things in the house. Of course, like Mister Robert Heinlein and Robert Bloch, and other writers, I've referenced other books in this book. Happy reading!....

Warning: The video is rated R for sex references. You must be 18 years and over to see and hear it.

***

Part 5.

Jess waited.

She needed to know why she was bad.

Nothing out of the ordinary deprived her of the selfish notion that she was bad. Or mad. Or evil. Or whatever word was used to describe that she was insane.

~~~

That was what Mom told her when she was 11; she immersed herself in the 'Stranger Danger' program; she immersed herself in the stories Aunt Marge told her about Mister Hyrer, the weirdo in number 66.

"He was evil, dear. A fruitcake. Not a real cake mixed with fruit, that you eat during special family times; but fruitcake, which meant he was one step away from psychotic. You heard things back in '58, about him; you heard about his wife, Caroline; you heard about how they never slept together; you heard about how he kept her body in the bed...like it was alive...

..."You also heard that he used an axe to chop down wood at The Resort in Arizona. Of course, you had to experience Rooms 24 and 31; you had to experience death. Of course, as I'm old, you also know the evil inside him, dear. And it was glowing darkness in his soul. Because, come Halloween, he'd be a clown...And scared the hell out of kids. Yes; yes. He ripped their flesh with his long fingers; he ripped until blood came down their screaming flesh...

..."He didn't cut his toenails, or finger nails. He wasn't concerned about hygiene, either. He was queer, you see. Strange; odd".

"And did they arrest him?".

"Lordy, yes, dear! He was sent to the Asylum. Oh, dear, girl. The Asylum! You hear stories of the mad patients there; you hear about their crying; you hear about their mutterings. Oh, yes! And, they wore their straightjackets, because they held their butcher knives close by under their rottten beds. And, if you went inside their cells, they'd rip your head off...or stab you. And the blood. Yes, dear! The blood is gushing...".

And that was when Jess did scream in horror.

~~~

Jess did remember.

It wasn't as if she didn't.

Her love of life in Louisiana was important.

She missed Grandma; she missed Grandpa. And her Aunts. And...there were only her parents; there were only their failed hopes and dreams; there were only sections of time. And time was precious; time was time.

~~~

Her inkling that something evil was inside the strippers' bar was funny to her. And so was the campsite that led to deaths thanks to Randall Jeston...and the two sisters in the eerie attic. And if you dared enter Dealing Farm, the scarecrows would rip you shreads; and the evil inside the woods where Elspeth, the Woodsgirl, dwelled to kill trespassers, was on the horizon; and the evil inside all of us, dwelled until it was freed.

~~~

Time shattered the sense of duty.

Its hardened grip tore the fabric of societal distress upon Jess. Stress became an antidote to modern disease.

It scoured the world to feed on the ravenous terror of the past...and tore into the future. And that future was a deadening force, that was like a Black Hole in the Solar System...and sucked everything into the abyss in space.

Of course space was vast.

But, on Earth, space was full of furniture to move; chairs to move. And dead, evil, things, that were in the way.

And, sometimes, (or, many times, since), the evil inside would creep up...and take your soul. And, in that moment, space, time, and distance, was forced upon you...until you acted on the prickling sensation that caused your skin to feel cold...And the battering on the windows wasn't because of the psychos who were grinning with their bloody axes in their rotten hands...eager to murder people...because they'd escaped from the Asylum, one hour ago.

~~~

The bad girl stared at me.

"Lonely".

"Suits me".

"And you want to go anywhere but here?", she asked.

"Depends if you want to kill me", I answered.

"Some people fuck because they like it. But their sinning is not for us. They can go to a Motel and Hotel; they can't come here".

"And the man did?".

"He arrived because he has business here. Of course, he is a Vampire now. My sister decided to turn him".

"But I want to go to LA".

"LA is a cesspool of Hollywood hacks".

"And".

"And now...there's something else to desire".

"And what is that?", Jess enquired.

"Your blood".

And she bared her sharp fangs...and drained Jess's blood.

~~~

The pain came quickly.

It was like the other times at the strip joint.

But that was a bizarre notion of evil.

And, when the bad girl sucked the blood into her mouth...she didn't care about HIV/AIDS; she didn't need to care about dying; she was already dead.

~~~

Page 14.