Chapter Nineteen

Sophie! Sophiee! SOPHIEEE!” Someone was yelling at me and slapping my face at the same time. I opened my eyes…Oh wow that light was really damn bright. I closed my eyes again. “No you don’t, you stay awake!” the voice demanded. Cam? What was he doing bossing me around? I opened my eyes again. Holy shit I felt like death. I hissed once my body felt like it was starting to function again, and I started to feel the slow burn in my finger. Who knew something so damn small could hurt so damn much. I focused on, I was right it was Cam, his face and I squinted as he started to go blurry, I felt like I was getting pulled back into another dream. My eyes started to close…I liked those dreams. 

Cam snapped his fingers in front of my face. “No, Sophie, I know you want to but you need to concentrate okay… you cant keep slipping away like that, itll become harder and harder to come back,” he said. What? What was he saying. His lips were moving and I couldn’t hear him. I wish he would just let me sleep…those dreams were the best part of my day. 

Cam pulled me up in to sitting position and that’s when I noticed I was on a cot…in the nurses office. Dear God what did I do now? Sitting up made the pull of wanting to fall into dream land go away, so I was feeling slightly coherent. “Whats going on?” I asked finally being able to make my mouth talk. Cam looked at me then at my hand then he stepped back looking uncomfortable. “You passed out in the café,” he told me, nervously. He was acting insanely weird. And he kept looking at my finger. “Cam!” I snapped. He had his gaze locked on my hand! He looked up at me. His face looked pained. “I shouldn’t have touched you,” he said. He looked sad. “What are you talking about?” I asked. I swung my legs over the cot and wavered a little as I sat up. I walked towards him as he stepped back. He was acting like Ezra did that day at the grocery store when he was told to stay away…”The last two years, you weren’t mine to have I shouldn’t have been with you!” he said exasperatingly. 

I seethed at that. “Really so now your going to tell me how the last two years were a mistake? Obviously they were Cam, but you don’t have to be an asshole like that!” someone cleared there throat and I looked at the door and saw the school nurse. I looked at her and then at Cam and then left the room, charging right past her. Cam followed me out in to the hall.

“Sophie wait!” he called after me. I didn’t stop. What was his issue? “Sophie!” he yelled. I stopped and turned to face him. “You weren’t a mistake,” he told me, I crossed my arms. This was going to be good. “That’s not what you told me back there, you said you shouldn’t have dated me for two years.” I reminded him. He scowled. “I know what I said Sophie,” he said. “That’s not what I meant…if I had known then that you were his..” he paused. 

Then it clicked. “Are you kidding me right now?” I asked. He sighed. “Two fucking years and you kept that from me!” I screamed. I was pissed. Angry. He could have told me! Made this past month or so go by so much easier! A fucking werewolf! I started punching his chest as hard as I could. I felt betrayed on so many damn levels. He took the beatings and then finally I stopped. I was crying. “I trusted you!” I cried. “I loved you!” actually I didn’t but actresses in movies always pulled that line. 

He looked at me, “Sophie, there is a reason why I had sex with so many girls,” he told me softly. “We arent even talking about that!” I told him shrilly. He looked around the hallway. “Obviously you know what I am…” he started,” NOW!” I said interrupting him, ”no thanks to you, I figured all this shit out on my own,” He sighed again. “Its not that im not attracted to you, because I was, which is why I respected you and didn’t touch you more than you wanted.” he said. “Cam seriously  I don’t want to know why you did what you did, okay, we are done and over with so lets just leave the past in the past.” I said. 

He shook his head. “No, Sophie you don’t get it. Listen to me and you will. “ he insisted. He looked around the hallway again…and just like last time no one was there. 

“Our …us werewolves, our bodies run on a totally different level then humans, and that level is based mostly on hormones. We’re animals essentially and what is the drive most animals have, their most basic need?” he asked me. “To live?” I questioned. He rolled his eyes. “Think Sophie, HORMONES,” he said enunciating loudly. “To…have sex?” I asked. He laughed. 

“To mate yes, and since I don’t have that special someone to do it with, having one person gets boring. That’s what a life mate is for,” he told me. “As wolves, we mate for life, that characteristic doesn’t follow over once we are in human form, and since we are in it most of the time, we mate because we freaking have to. Kinda like if you don’t use it you lose it,” he said smiling. “So you just go around screwing other girls because if you don’t…it will fall off?” I asked confused. “Well not really, but its painful,” he informed me. “So like blue balls?” I questioned. He nodded. “Sorta, but more intense then that, but anyways, we go around doing that until it clicks,” he said, 

“What clicks?” I said. “It,” he stated. “That’s helping so much Cam,” I said crossing my arms. “It depends on each pack, my pack a symbol shows up once you meet your life mate, and then the only thing you want is that other person,” he told me. I shuddered at thinking that Ezra had a repertoire of girls as long as Cam’s. 

“You said your pack?” I asked  pushing the thought of Ezra out of my mind. He nodded. “Yeah, I’m in the Solar Pack,” he told me. 

My heart stopped and my blood ran cold.