Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

I didn’t even make it to my car before Ezra caught up with me in the parking lot. The sun was beating down on me, the day was a little chilly for a September in Georgia. He grabbed my arm and my body was on fire. I wanted him so bad, but I forced myself to back away from him. 

“What is wrong with you?” he asked. Should I tell him that I was given an ultimatum? I knew when Julianne talked to him in the classroom he only said what he did, so she would pardon me, but he didn’t know that she knew and she came after me instead. I had to get him to kill whatever the Solar Pack was or else she would force me to choose between two guys, that even just after a week or so, I was falling head over heels for. 

“Sophie talk to me,” he said. He made no effort to touch me again. This was so damn hard. 

“Please just do what Julianne wants okay…and just leave me alone, this whole mate thing…its not going to work out, I’m sorry,” than I turned away from him and walked to my car, my heart breaking into a million miniscule pieces. But I had to protect those I cared for, and Ezra…I definitely cared for him. 

*************************************************************************************

2 weeks flew by pretty fast. I was talking more and more with Jax and staying clear of Ezra. I switched out of his Physics class much to his displeasure. I avoided him in the halls, when he would come to my door. I blocked his number = after he text bombed my over a 150 texts in a matter of 2 hours. Professing his love, asking for another chance to fix whatever it is that scared me away. 

But what scared me was the fact that the supernatural existed, that a witch with a vendetta had used me to get Ezra to kill…things that even if they weren’t human had no reason to die. But had Ezra killed whatever the Solar Pack was, I wasn’t too sure. I had eyes and ears in many places. I made friends with people in his Physics classes who would tell me in random conversations how un Ezra like he was being or how he was sulking, or even how he dressed in the same clothes for days at a time acting like he didn’t care that the world was still revolving around him. 

After I was told that, I realized there was no way that the plan I had of distancing myself was going to get him to jump into action. It was just going to make things worse. Jax was worming his way in under my skin. He didn’t make me feel like Ezra did but I loved him just as much as I loved Ezra if not more. I couldn’t stand to see either of them get hurt. So I made my choice. 

Jax took me out to dinner in the town over 2 weekends after I walked the most painful walk away from Ezra, saying that I needed to get out and have a little fun. I agreed but my mind was working in overdrive. What if I did have to choose? What if Ezra really has given up and I have to choose between someone I now know that I cannot live without and someone who has never left my side, has never asked questions but has always been there for me, at least as much as he could within the last month of me knowing him.

It was an impossible choice to make and I wasn’t sure I could. Jax parked in the lot next to a pretty seedy looking club. I looked at him and he smiled. “Trust me, its not as bad as it looks besides there is someone in there that I think you need to see,” he told me. I frowned in confusion but got out of the car and followed Jax up to the front door. He paid for the cover and the bouncer let us in, not even bothering to check for my ID. Jax intertwined his arm with mine and he maneuvered us through the crowd of dancing gyrating humping people on the dance floor and soon we made it to the bar. 

“Its about damn time you showed up Jaxson Kueper,” A silky voice snapped. I felt the tears come to my eyes. Charlee. “You had her come up here for me?” I whispered, tears choking me. Oh man I was worse than I thought, I was a hormonal mess. Jax gave me a hug. “You need more than me, even though I hate to admit, I know there are some things that you arent telling me that I know you can tell her. Now Im going to go take about 15 minutes to go find some decent alcohol in this place…not that you can have any you underage woman you,” he said smirking at me. 

“Bring me back like an entire bottle of Tequila!” Charlee said as he walked away from her. He flipped her off. She scowled. 

“You kept in contact with him after the night I called the both at Rayleigh?” I asked. She shrugged. “He drove over 2 hours to make sure you were alright, I had to make sure someone was in Harmony keeping an eye on you,” she said simply. “He loves you, you know,” she said. But who? Ezra or Jax? 

Parts of my memory were coming back from that night in Rayleigh and I shook them away. I was too confused as it was. Charlee grabbed my hand in hers. She looked at my Infinity Symbol and then looked up at me. “You’re lucky you know,” she said softly. I could barely hear her over the music. “What?” I asked not sure if I had heard her right. “You have two men in your life, that you have barely known more than a handful of weeks, that would lay down their lives for you,” she looked at me. Playful Charlee was gone. “I go through guys daily trying to find the love that those two guys have for you,” she said. Ah, she was talking about Ezra. An image of her slapping Ezra zoomed across my vision and it was gone. 

She traced my symbol again and then let my hand go just as Jax came back with a bottle of tequila. Charlee grabbed it from him and tossed half of the bottle back in less than a minute. “Your clothes are going to be falling off soon,” Jax warned. Charlee smiled as she stood up. “Daddy didn’t raise no lightweight.” she said as she sauntered off, probably in look of her next one night stand. 

“You feel any better?” Jax asked. I looked at him, taking in everything, from his violet eyes to his built body that I could see somewhat under his clothes. His arms bulged through his too tight of a shirt and his pants clung to his legs like a second skin. God he was delicious. I licked my lips. Could I choose if it came down to that? “Sophie?” he asked as he saw me staring at him. 

It only took a second. I took the dive. I stood up and he stepped back a little, I stepped forward and wrapped my arm around his neck pulling him in. My body wasn’t humming, but it felt right…and wrong at the same time. But I needed to know. I leaned in and closed the distance between our lips. Fireworks emitted and I knew this choice wasn’t going to be an easy one, especially when he started kissing me back. 

(AN: Yes, I know some of you are probably thinking a month and shes in love, well come on ones her mate and the male version of her best friend, how could you not fall in love that quick? -Opal)