Chapter 8 - Titan

I woke up early this morning , and ended up just eating a loaf of bread for breakfast. I didn't mind, breakfast isn't all that important to me anyway.
I didn't feel like training today because of yesterday's events I'm also highly capable of killing people so I'm fine. I also feel like a nuisance for Levi. All of a sudden your niece who was believed to be dead mysteriously appears again, yep , weird.
I had nothing to do today , I haven't been given permission to try training with the soldiers yet which doesn't really keep my schedule full. They don't trust outsiders like me. I combed my long dark hair , sweeping it to one side. I didn't know wether I should cause trouble or be a goody goody today....
I opened my window letting in the fresh breeze of spring morning , the quietness of the scene gave me peace of mind, I close my eyes and breathed in the clean air which calmed my senses. I turned onto my back and cautiously climbed up to the roof with ease , my room was on the highest floor , so I hung out on the roof most of the time,.
I had an extraordinary view of the squished buildings and the people , but no trees of course. I heard panicked chirps from a chimney as I was going settle down and relax. Curiosity hit me, I slowly crawled on all my fours to the small, dusty chimney.All I saw was a bundle of small twigs and leaves... a nest maybe? I took the pile of twigs in my arms and put it in my lap. I slowly uncovered the tangled twigs to the constant high pitched chirping.Only to reveal a small baby bird. Where's the rest of its siblings? It should have its mother keeping it warm... I felt a great pity for the little thing , all helpless and alone. I knew how it felt , to be unloved. I'm going to raise it , I'll be a replacement mother. I decided that I couldn't just leave it to die,That would be cold hearted. I chuckled to myself , I don't mind killing people ,but I can't kill a baby bird..i really am useless.
I sat on the roof , trying to bend the twigs back into a proper bowled nest. It was more difficult than I thought, but I managed to succeed , however that doesn't benefit the bird as much..... I gently took the weak bird in my hand , it was curled up in the middle of my warm palm , absorbing the welcoming warmth. It's eyes were still clapped shut , it isn't old enough to fly either. It fidgeted in my hand as I carefully stroked its small head. I examined it , not in a creepy Hanji way though .... like a doctor's check up. The bird seemed to be lacking food , it's ribs was clear to show.
I wasn't sure what breed it was , but that didn't bother me in anyway. I held carefully the bird in one arm as I lowered myself from the roof and back inside my room from the open window. I took a clean white napkin from my drawer and made a little bed for the bird to keep it warm. I lit a candle and put it next to the nest , it wasn't close enough so it would burn the best , just close enough to radiate heat. I needed food for the bird.... maybe Hanji could help me? I shut the window and drew the curtains , incase any predators would hunt the bird. The need for a name clicked my mind, but I haven't decided yet, I needed time. I chuckled to myself , who knew I would take this so seriously? Of course I would, I want to give this bird a chance to live , something that I didn't get to have. I kept my drawer open and put the nest there with the candle, worry grew over me. I put a pillow under the drawer incase the bird fell from the nest.
A sudden knock erupted my thoughts.
"Come in" I welcomed as I tidied myself to look like I didn't drag myself from bed. The door opened to reveal Reiner.

What's he doing here?

"Oh hey Anei , Hanji wants to see you in her lab..." Reiner informed me with an awkward grin on his face , looking tense. "I was about to go there actually , thanks for letting me know" I thanked him as I gave him a warm smile. A tint of pink crept on his face , making me confused. What is he blushing about? "No problem Anei , anything for a friend.... I haven't seen you on the training field with Heichou this morning , are you alright?" He asked , in a worried tone, the mood of the casual talk suddenly changing.
Why does he care? I never even talk to him...
"I just didn't feel like it... I'm alright though , nothing wrong with me" I lied , I've been having these weird pains when I puke up blood and my heart feels like it's bending and twisting in my burning chest... but I've pushed it out of the way , for now.
"Do you know what's up with Armin? he seems down lately...." Reiner suddenly asks , then I remembered. When Armin doesn't even know me, he's asking why I was acting like I was. He would feel offended if I asked him the same thing.... it was none of his business anyway. We are very different people , opposites to be exact. He would be in a Asylum if he went what I went through , or possibly dead.
"No....? I haven't talked to him lately so I can't catch up onto what's happening" I fibbed , Reiner looked at me in the eyes disbelief behind his face. "Oh , bye Anei ! I gotta go for training!" Reiner waved goodbye as he closed the door. You would expect me to feel a little guilty for Armin , but it's his fault for barging into other people's business. I walked up to the little chick that was asleep in the nest , petting it's small pink head with my index finger. "I'll call you... Loki.... like the God of Mischief" I mumbled as I chuckled to myself. I felt responsible , is this what a mother feels like with her kids? I always took a fascination to Norse Mythology , I found it so interesting... but I didn't worship the gods or anything.