CHAPTER 59- D-DAY BASH

*Two weeks later*

Michael, Jayden's friend, had decided to throw a surprise birthday gathering for Jayden in the house. Mrs. Benson had been informed of it since it was her house.

He had invited a couple of Jayden’s close friends to the house while another friend had purposefully kept Jayden out of the house.

The maids, as per Michael’s request, had prepared a variety of dishes, drinks, and desserts for the gathering.

What nobody knew was that this was going to be a completely unforgettable gathering.

Jayden approached the house with his friend, Mandy.

The past weeks had been more stressful. His father had still not confessed his infidelity to his mother, claiming that his mother had not fully recovered yet, even when she had been yelling helter-skelter at the remaining maids to do their jobs properly.

Brie was still around, his father's silence on his infidelity buying her more time in the house.

She would smirk anytime she walked by Jayden, mumbling a ‘Daddy knows best’ just to spite him. A real devil, she was.

Lara’s birthday had come to pass. She had requested for a day off to spend with her family. All Jayden could do was to merely wish her before she had left that morning. He had also gifted her a golden necklace and she had kindly accepted from him.

Ever since their break up, they had expected a downpour of bad blood and drama between themselves. However, things had seemed easier. Conversations were simpler and more refreshing, smiles were more polite and sincere. Things were good.

Jayden pushed open the entrance door and as soon as he stepped in, everyone shrieked, “Happy Birthday!”

Surprise immediately hit Jayden, a chuckle tumbling from his lips.

“What in the-“

“Surprise, surprise,” Michael exclaimed and everyone surrounded Jayden as they hugged and wished him long life and prosperity.

He saw friends he hadn’t spoken to in ages, mates from university and lots of new faces.

But after the embracing ceremony, as the crowd dispersed away to chat with other people, his eyes found Kira’s whose eyes had instantly found his, a soft smile gracing her lips.

He immediately made his way towards her beautiful frame.

“Hey,” he smiled.

“Happy birthday,” she returned the smile and included an embrace, to which he gladly accepted.

“Thanks, it’s so good to see you again. Were you in on the surprise?” Jayden inquired because Kira hadn’t a friend from his squad, so it baffled him to see her here.

“No. I came over because today’s your birthday and I wanted to gift you. But, there were so many people here already, and I figured they were planning on surprising you.”

“Your presence is a gift in itself,” Jayden assured, but she still went ahead to bring out a blue parceled box and handed it to him.

“Here you go.”

Holding her gaze and watching the way the corners of her lips softly curved into a smile, Jayden couldn't help but thank the Heavens for how things had changed for the better. Six years ago on this day, he had put tears in Kira's eyes for the very first time. He had disappointed her.

Now, there were no tears. No disappointment. Just happiness and friendship.

Jayden regarded the box with a smile, wondering what she had gotten him, “Thanks, I appreciate it.”