F i f t e e n

[Song for the Chapter]

[5sos-Amnesia]

[Evanescence-My Immortal]

[Tove Lo-Habits]

~

I turned onto her street, on foot. It wasn't like I could pull up beside her in a car with a missing window that I don't have the keys to. I saw her sitting on the top step of her patio, her cheek rested on her fist in boredom. He hadn't noticed me yet. I quietly walked to the side of her house and climbed over the fencing of the patio.

I slowly and quietly made my way behind her and hovered my hands over her waist. I leaned in closer to her ear and inhaled the scent of vanilla from her hair. The brown locks were braided and thrown over her shoulder, still damp from a shower. She wore a black shirt with a red collar and red and white strips on the sleeves, plain white shorts stopping mid-thigh.

"Boo." I softly whispered in her ear as my hands came in contact with her sides.

She jumped and turned her head, eyes wide with shock.

"Don't do that!" she chuckled, standing up.

I held her hands and looked down at her shirt. It read 'Oblivion is inevitable'. I smiled at her and she shrugged.

"I don't get it."

She rolled her eyes. "Its an inside joke, and you're on the outside."

I laughed and pulled her to my chest, wrapping my arms around her back. I kissed the top of her head and pulled back, holding her hand. We walked down the steps and the sidewalk.

"Your aunt isn't very good at keeping you grounded, is she?" I asked, referring to the absence of a car in the driveway.

"She tries, but she has work. She's the closest thing I've had to a parent in like, eight years." she explained, looking at the ground as she walked.

Should I ask? I should.

"Why?"

She looked up at me, blinking slowly. "My mom moved a while back, she couldn't take me so I stayed with my dad."

"And him, what happened?"

She looked off into the distance, her bottom lip quivering. Her grip tightened on my hand as he tugged me closer to her.

"He, he drank a lot. Then, he made some bad choices, some involving me. He's in prison now."

I clenched my jaw. The thought of someone, let alone a figure of complete trust, hurting an angel made every nerve in my body burn. I hadn't noticed my grip tighten until she tugged her hand away. I muttered an apology and took her hand again, gently.

"And your parents?" she whispered.

I looked at her, rosey cheeks making her look like the image of pure perfection. Her lips parted only slightly in curiosity, awaiting my reply. I looked forward and sighed.

"They're...around. I just don't know where."

"Neither of them?" I nodded.

"Though I know where my father deserves to be." I said, my teeth gritted at the thought of him.

"Oh."

We walked on for a while, I was grateful she didn't push farther on the subject of my parents. I saw a small, quaint little restaurant on the corner. The walls were brick, vines grew on the side of the building around the door. I smiled at her and crossed the street, opening the door.

"We're not dressed for a restaurant." she whispered as I walked in behind her, touching her side.

"So?" I whispered in her ear.

We walked through the almost empty room, a table near the back taken by a greasy looking guy. I sat near the very back in a booth, and she sat across from me.

"I don't think anyone's working right now." she said, looking around.

I just smiled, studying her features. The natural blush on her cheekbones was barely visible under the dim light above the booth, occasionally flickering. I touched her hand that rested on the table and she turned to me, biting her lip.

She smiled and let my hand take other one across the table. Her palms were incredibly soft compared my rough, calloused ones. Her fingernails were unpainted, but remnants of the past colour-black-were left. I looked at her and took my bottom lip between my teeth, deep in thought.

"What do you want?" a voice interrupted.

I looked up, meeting a pair of bored grey eyes. Her hair was in a bun, though few strands flew in different directions. She had no make up, at least it looked like so, and looked back down at me. Her jaw moved slowly, then she blew a pink bubble. I looked a Drew.

"Coke." she said quietly, her voice small, shy.

"Two please." I said.

She walked off and I looked back at Drew.

"You're shy."

She shrugged.

"You have manners." she said, raising an eyebrow.

"Most of the time."

She smiled, creating an awkward silence. The waitress from before brought two glasses and set them on the table. I pushed one to Drew and drank from mine.

"I know it's just sodas but, do think we can dine and ditch?" she asked with a smile.

"Why?"

She shrugged. I bet she's one of those people that love adrenaline. Adrenaline junkie.

"Good girls are bad girls that haven't been caught." she shrugged.

I felt the corner of my mouth tug upwards into a smirk. I stood up and took her hand, quickly walking out. Once we reached the back door, she pulled me out and ran across the street. Multiple cars honked loudly as we passed. Once we were on the other side, she was breathing heavily, bent over and grabbing her knees.

"Are you okay?" I shouted, touching her back.

She stood straight, smiling widely and laughing.

"What a rush!" she shouted, looking at me.

I furrowed my eyebrows. I was corrupting her. She shouldn't find this fun, she should be scared. But hell, it was fun.

"Don't get used to it." I mumbled, crossing my arms.

She looked at me and nodded, the smile disappearing. She swung her arms around my neck and connected our lips. I touched her waist and pushed her against me, moving my lips against hers hard. It felt like nothing else in the world mattered, like I didn't hear the horns honking. But I did.

I pulled back to hear multiple car horns honking. We were on the sidewalk, Drew still pressed against my body protectively. I snaked my arms further and hoisted her up slightly so she was standing on her toes. Men from cars on the street were shouting ad whistling.

"Get a room!" one shouted.

I stuck my middle finger at them and Drew laughed. I pecked her lips again and turned to walk the other way. I kept my hand planted on her waist, though my other was in my pocket. I held her smaller, weaker body closer to mine, the warmth making me smile. Everything in my life seemed to be working perfectly, but it wasn't.

~

Hilight with question.