Season 2: Chapter 13

Her back was to her window as she lay in bed, and just when she was about to give up on sleep, and get out of bed to go to the kitchen for a calming cup of tea, she heard it—her window carefully and quietly being opened. Unfortunately, because of her position, she was unable to catch any whiff of the person or persons that had entered the room.

She remained calm and quiet, not giving away the fact that she was awake in hopes of catching the intruder or intruders by surprise. Thankfully, her hand was already under her pillow near the kunai she had placed there, so all she had to do was grasp it and slash around to strike. Her two kodachi were also stationed next to her bed on the side she was facing, so they were in very easy reach. She also had strategically placed her three chakra spheres around her room so that she could quickly and effectively use them in a defense against any possible enemies.

Paranoid—that’s what she had become in the past couple of days since her meeting with Orochimaru. In fact, she had lost sleep in just the couple of days since then, and tonight had been turning out to be the same, but now her loss of sleep and her added wariness were now well justified.

She would have summoned one of her wolves and asked them to keep watch for her while she tried to get some sleep, but they had already been keeping sentry duty since last week when they had learned of the progression of the Ookami clan’s movements. It wasn’t fair to ask them, or even make them add another thing on their list of jobs to perform; and heaven forbid she call upon Nana’s two pups to perform such a task. They’d do the opposite of allowing her to sleep, especially Doji. She was moderately tolerant of most people and animals, but with Doji, her tolerance meter would be cut down by more than half. The pup was incapable of being quiet and still, not to mention even serious.

Karasu would probably have been the next best choice, but the poor bird was in the same boat as everyone else—keeping long sentry hours with maybe a wink or two of rest in between. And if there was one thing she had learned in the long years of knowing the bird, it was that if Karasu was deprived of enough sleep, then he’d be talkative and fidgety as well, but in a more cranky fashion than the pups. Between having a hyper, attention deficit pup with a scolding sister, and a cranky-nonstop-talking-wings-flapping bird…she’d take the pups, but only if worse came to worse and only if she was tired to the point of actually passing out from complete and utter fatigue.

Despite having those obnoxious thoughts running through her mind, she was still able to listen for her intruder who was now at her bedside. She could hear the person let out a small sigh, and she very slowly—without giving away any hint of movement—took hold of her kunai from beneath her pillow. She didn’t sense any malicious intent, but continued to be at the ready, waiting for the moment when he or she would make their move.

For a split moment, she feared that the person standing behind her was the man with the frightening snake eyes, and her mind sent her a horrible vision of said man staring at her and putting her under another of his paralyzing jutsu. She could hear her heart pounding away in her ears in steady growing panic, and she could feel a bead of sweat forming at her forehead.

A hand placed itself upon her head and she finally reacted, whipping out her kunai as she spun around to a sitting position to stab at the intruder. She took in a sharp intake of breath when her arm was stopped, and her eyes met the person who had entered her room, though it was the scent that now gave him away, revealing his identity.

“K—Kakashi!?” She whispered in surprise.

The masked man’s stern face had quickly melted to that of a child-ish, apologetic one, and he released the shocked woman’s arm, bringing his hand to rub at the back of his head;

“I didn’t mean to scare you, Hisayo…Sorry...”

Hisayo’s face flushed red with many different emotions—anger, irritation, relief, joy, and many others. She lowered her kunai wielding hand with a small sigh and she growled quietly, “Fool, what were you thinking?!” she quietly exclaimed, “I could have killed you just now!”