Season 2: Chapter 3 - Pt 2

A light, howling wind blew around the area, with it being stronger on the ridge. Kakashi looked down at the kodachi in his hand and frowned. He then clutched the hilt of the weapon tightly in his hand…he was going to go down there. Somehow, he needed to, but…everyone else…

Though the shinobi from Iwa had retreated, he knew they would be back to make sure they had carried out their mission. Out of the three Squads from Grass, one was almost completely without harm. The rest, including his team, were looking a bit worse for wear. They all needed to rest up, tend to any wounds, and try to recover as much chakra as possible for the next encounter with Iwa.

But...Captain Hiraku…the envoy…Hisayo…

Things were looking grim at the moment, but he knew if anything, then she would be relatively alright. He didn’t know how far a drop into that dark chasm there was, but he knew that Hisayo was skilled enough to handle herself. He also didn’t know what skills Captain Hiraku possessed, but as long as the envoy was with them, then he would do everything in his power to protect him, including Hisayo. It still didn’t set well with him though that she was one her own mostly, and who knew if she had been injured or not by the fall. He could have done something different, he should have run to her aid at the beginning…Those different thoughts kept floating around in his head, and he couldn’t help but feel responsible in some way.

There was one thing that was clear now though, and it was that Iwa was responsible for the earlier attempts on the envoy’s life. Though Hiraku was at first a suspicious character, after hearing what his opinions were and after what that Iwa-nin had said, Captain Hiraku was not responsible for anything against the envoy. It was true that he didn’t like the possible negative outcomes for the future, but his action earlier told him that he was loyal to his village, as well as a solid ally to Konoha as he risked his life for a shinobi of the Leaf. Iwa on the other hand…they still continued to be an enemy of the Land of Fire, and with them now attacking their ally, it was pretty apparent that they would have to take a firm stand against them.

“Kakashi…”

 Kakashi didn’t move or respond in any way to Raido’s call from close behind, still staring down at the kodachi in his hand.

“We need to regroup and tend to everyone’s injuries. I’m sorry, but…we’ll have to go after Hisayo and the other two a bit later after we come up with a plan.” Raido reluctantly spoke as he turned his head away from viewing the dark abyss below.

 He felt guilt over having treated Hisayo so poorly from before. She had helped him before running off to do her job of protecting the envoy, and he wasn’t even able to return the favor by helping to save her from falling.

Off behind them, the mixed group of shinobi were helping each other as well as any injured attendants belonging to the envoy, to safer grounds—opting to back track a small bit and take cover in the woods.

“Kakashi.” Raido took a step forward to try to gain the masked man’s attention once again, but was stopped by a hand on his shoulder from behind.

“Let him be for a while. I’ll check on him after we move everyone.”

“But Iwa-“ Raido tried to argue against Genma.

“We gave them a hard beating. They won’t come stalking around here for a while, at least not until they regroup themselves and heal up like we are. So just let him be, Raido.” Genma sternly said.

******

The sound of the earth crumbling from above caused Captain Hiraku and Hisayo to nervously glance upward, sitting in silence for a moment; waiting to see if any immediate action was needed. Yukio sat on his knees, with a sleeve up to his face as he silently whimpered. They could see the small, far off rays of light from above. They had fallen indeed a great distance, but thanks to a technique used by Captain Hiraku, they had been saved from a fatal impact.