Season 2: Chapter 5

“That headband really does suit you, Naruto.”

“Haha, you think so?” Naruto laughed as he continued to re-adjust his headband before turning and grinning to the woman sitting beside him. “Yeah, I think so too!”

“So, today’s the day you’ll be meeting your new sensei, yes?”

“Yup, but I’m not nervous at all. In fact, once he sees how great a ninja I am, then I’m sure I’ll be the top in the team. The only problem will be Sasuke.” Naruto crossed his arms with a snort, gaining a small chuckle from his white-haired companion.

“Surely having him on your team can’t be that bad, can it?” Hisayo asked, having gone through a few experiences where first impressions of teammates were not always the correct ones—her most recent of course having been with Raido.

Naruto swiveled his chair around to face the golden-eyed woman so fast that Hisayo actually gave a small jump in surprise by his sudden actions. “But it is! And to make it worse, I finally got the chance to get close to Sakura-chan, but all she can see and think about is ‘Sasuke-kun’.” Naruto imitated before taking an angry bite of his ramen, swallowing, and then continuing. “With Sasuke on my team, I’ll never get her attention!”

Hisayo blinked a bit in response to Naruto’s words, being a bit taken off guard. She didn’t quite understand. “Why is it so important that you get her attention Naruto?”

Naruto’s face grew red as he flinched back at the question. “W-well because I…I like her, okay!” He confessed out loud, gaining a loud chuckle from Teuchi who had been eavesdropping over his shoulder as he cleaned behind his bar. “H-hey, what’s so funny?!” Naruto whipped his head around to face the ramen shop owner.

“Nothing, nothing.” Teuchi continued to chuckle though, before he gave a heavy sigh. “Why, I’m just remembering back in the day when I was a young boy in love.”

Naruto sunk down in his seat, hovering inches over his ramen bowl and mumbled, “Old timer.”

“What was that?!” Teuchi held up the ladle he had just finished washing.

“Time to go, Naruto.” Hisayo was quick to get Naruto and herself away from the offended man and his ramen shop; putting a large bill on the bar, hoping that it would be enough to cause Teuchi to momentarily forget his anger.

“Hey, I wasn’t finished!” Naruto whined as he continued to be led by his arm.

Hisayo glanced down with a smile. “I promise to make it up to you later.”

“Ooo, you mean by training with me?” An excited and hopeful glint was held in Naruto’s eyes.

“If you want to get certain people’s attention, then you have to keep improving, right?” Hisayo wasn’t entirely sure if what she was saying to be true.

 When Naruto had told her who he was trying to get the attention of (a female) and the reason for it, it got her mind ticking…So was that how it all started? Boy likes girl, boy tries to get girl’s attention, and…then what? Does girl like boy back? What does that all even mean anyways?

“It’s called love.”

Hisayo stopped for a moment in her tracks, still having her gentle hold on Naruto’s arm. She heard that phrase being chanted in her mind—the one that Kurenai and Yugao had spoken to her of, many times, in fact. And it hadn’t been just them.

There was Myukyu…darn that little wolf, trying to compare wolf relationships with humans. That was where things became confusing, but…at the same time…his comparisons seemed to make sense and matched up here and there with what her fellow kunoichi were saying to her. But how could she verify all of what they were saying? How did she know if she was experiencing a feeling of love and towards…Kakashi?