Red Eyes, Contagious Smiles and Blue Skies

Chapter 24: Red Eyes, Contagious Smiles and Blue Skies

"Hunter, we need to talk."

"Where?"

"The park."

*****

I had only just entered the park thinking I had arrived way too quickly until I noticed Hunter standing near the swings. I guess not.

He stood there facing the other way, arms resting on the fence and a hand running though his head. He was stressed.

I made my way over to him slightly nervous since I haven't seen him, alone at least, for quite some time.

"Hey." I said as he turned around.

"Anastasia." He said as if only just acknowledging me.

I sighed before asking the question I came here to ask.

"Why has Jason been following me everywhere?" I asked directly, making sure not to miss a beat.

This time he sighed as he sat down on the swing. "I had him keep an eye on you while I was away."

I furrowed my eyebrows and pulled a strand of hair out of my face and took the swing next to him.

"While you were away?"

He nodded, "you may not have realised but I went out of town for a few days. Had some business to attend to." He spoke softly and the apprehension applied on the word 'business' made me shudder not wanting to think of the possibilities.

"Erm- okay. So, you had him keep an eye on me? From the stalker." I clarified.

"Yeah. I would've done it myself because trust me I trust no one other than me when it comes to you but I knew you didn't want me around."

I understood and I was grateful in fact that even when I denied our relationship he still took the time and patience to watch out for me.

"Thank you, Hunter." I said not sure of what to do anymore.

Hunter nodded but it was as if it was mockingly.

"Why is it that every time I approach you I come prepared to be confused by what you say and to not understand but instead you give me a straight up answer. Not that I'm saying you shouldn't but it's just so easy for you. To answer my questions."

"I can't lie to you Anastasia, even if I wanted to."

I smiled, "I know, Hunter."

He looked to at me. And that's when I noticed his eyes. Blood red.

"Hunter, what the hell happened?" I asked cupping his jaw into my hands and examining his red eyes.

"It's nothing." He said pushing his head out of my hands, diverting his gaze and swinging slightly.

"You haven't been sleeping have you?"

He doesn't speak yet manages to answer my question.

"Please don't make me worry about you." I cannot have anything happening to him.

"You won't have to." He says looking back up at me and holding it there.

We stood there in silence for a few minutes before I said "Thank you."

His eyebrows crinkle in confusion.

"For the ring." I clarified.

That's when he looked down, "I don't know what to make of it but all I know is that it's beautiful and I want you to know that I'm trying - I really am trying to salvage what we have left of our relationship." He quietly listened without questioning.

"But Hunter. I need to know. I know you always ask me but this time it's me asking you. Do you need me to stay away? Because I'm not blind, I know that you had to go out of your way to keep me safe. I see it you know. These 'businesses' you have to attend to. I know that I've changed your life a lot and I'm not sure if it's for the good or bad. So I'll ask again, do you need me to stay away?"

After I finish my verbal essay on my opinion Hunter begins to smile, a proper smile. One I haven't seen, ever.

"Anastasia, I don't care what happens to me as long as your safe. So no, I don't need you to stay away."

I chuckle, "There we go again, another simple answer - something I can't manage to give. But Hunter it scares me to think about the extent you'll go to for my protection."

"There is no extent." He says nonchalantly.

I sigh, shaking my head.

"So, did you miss me?" I joked, lightly punching his arm but his expression remained dead straight.

"You know what's funny?" He asked coming closer and closer. He rests his forehead on mine and our heart beats combine as we inhale and exhale simultaneously.

I closed my eyes.

"Your absence is even more irritating than your presence." I could sense him grinning like a fool.

I pushed his head away laughing and for the first time I hear Hunter laugh too.

Not a Hunter laugh. A real one. A really cute and handsome one (yes, I called his laugh handsome). A really adorable contagious one that now resembled my own.

"I like this. This friendship. Can we keep it like this?" I ask knowing that it hurts him to answer considering his feelings for me. Hell it hurts me too but I don't think we can go back to how we were just yet.

He hesitates but slowly nods while smiling but I could see the pain in his eyes.

We hung out for a while until it turned a bit dark which was really annoying since it was only 6.

Hunter held my hand in his own and helped me jump over a puddle.

I could've jumped myself, yes I know. But it was an opportunity to hold his hand and no, I was not going to pass that up.

We both had to go separate ways but I know now that even if I'm alone and without Hunter, I'll never really be alone because he'll always be here. Somehow.

"Hunter!" I shouted to him before making my way home.

He instantly turned around. "Go home and sleep." I can't stress how important it is for him to sleep and for me to witness those stormy grey lightening eyes that had once illuminated my world.

He shook his head turning around and walking away with his own little swagger which made me laugh just by watching him. I never noticed that before. Huh.

"Anastasia!" Hunter shouts my name and I turn around a little too fast.

He doesn't move. He doesn't say anything. He just stands there. We just stand there.

And in that moment I knew, we were now painting the grey sky above us blue.

********

*Spoiler* Hunter dies of sleep deprivation!

Just kidding...

Vote and comment if you like! :)