Moving On: Part 1

Chapter 21: Moving On (part 1)

"Happy birthday!"

I woke up to mom, dad, Dylan and Martha all standing above me shouting as loud as they can.

"Thanks" I said with a big smile, rubbing my eyes and sitting upright. This birthday will change everything, after this, things will be different; I just know it.

"18 years old already?" Dylan said whilst scratching his head animatedly.

"I know," I muttered under my breath as I realised that I can finally be considered as an adult by law, not that I'm in a hurry to grow up.

"That's my girl." Said Dad lightly punching me on my arm, "Dad, why is it that you start acting weird when it's my birthday? Not that you aren't weird in general..." Seriously, it's like he has no words, and the few that he does have - he just uses them in a very strange way.

Martha decided it was best to explain, "Well watching your child go from 8 to 18 in what seems like a short amount of time can be really... hard to wrap your head around. But anyhow happy birthday Anastasia!"

"Thanks Martha." I said as I began thinking about how quickly I grew up.

Damn.

"Alright you know the drill. Get ready you soon have a party to attend to." Mom stated proudly.

"You didn't. Again?" I said disappointedly.

"Of course you did," I muttered as I let out a sigh.

Yep, she organised another massive birthday party for me just like every year.

"How can she not." Dylan sneered with his arms folded.

Jealous much?

"Don't worry son, we're men and men don't need silly birthday parties." Dad said as he wrapped his arm over Dylan's shoulder.

"Dad! I'm not sulking. I don't care about parties, that's childish."

No, that's childish I thought as I shook my head and glared at Dylan who was now mocking me and making weird faces, he seriously does get weirder by the day.

"This year there's an extra surprise." She lured mysteriously and I raised my eyebrows silently questioning her but all she did was tap her nose.

I got up and gave everyone a big bear hug and decided that today I will put everything behind me. These past few years' things have happened, both good and bad but it's high time I begin to accept and deal with them. I just have too.

I can't keep dwelling on the past. From now on, forgive and forget, mainly forget.

Moving on.

After everyone individually wished me and left I began freshening up.

Knowing mom the guests are probably already on their way...

Thank goodness I washed myself last night because there is just no time!

I began calling a few friends I hadn't spoken to in a long time but it seems that mom managed to reach them and had already invited them. Even the ones she doesn't know herself, she probably took my phone book. I hope she didn't call everyone on it because it would be weird having certain people show up - I know very well I have the number of a few kids who I used to tutor and even Steve from Steve's Garage. I think I have Jason's number in there too.

I quickly began rummaging through my closet looking for something to wear. I haven't even worn half of the stuff in here ever! Something's I don't even remember buying. Even though I have so many clothes, I never have the right one for any occasion!