Chapter 1

I always knew who was walking down the corridor to merit such a silent and near-tensed atmosphere among the students on their cigarette break. Like everybody else, I turned of course to look. Peter Gabriel Miranda was a usual, walking down the hallway and looking for all the world like Cosmo-Model-turned-teacher instead of what he really was: gorgeous-hunk-of-a-teacher. And boy, what a sight to behold on a Monday morning barely two weeks since the semester started. And in all those fourteen days, I'd hang out by the bench near the post-it wall just so I could catch him on his way to his first class.

Sir Peter Gabriel, or Gabi as he was called (please don't think about Gabby Concepcion, although I admit the actor is still a hunk no matter how old he probably is now) is a psychology teacher who just made half the female population in that school wet with desire for him. He had lang naman the body to die for, and a face that all women would love. He was not the usual gwapo but there was just something in his face no one could put a name into, and made him still interesting.

And I had heard comments like, "Must be the eyes no?... yes, like a hawk. Ready to pounce on you with you unaware..." or "It's his lips, gagah! More sensual than Ian Somerhalder's..." Or, "Umm, no. It's his nose. Slightly disdainful, can't you see?" Whatever that is, all the girls concluded he was one hell of a hunk.

So now he was about twenty steps from me and I noted agad in my notebook what he wore: Maroon long-sleeved polo rolled at the elbows, dark slacks, his usual loafers. His hair was brushed up and it was obvious from Day 1 he didn't use a gel, pero okay lang with him the tousled look. Made him sexier. I watched his progress in the hallway just as I added trying-hard-to-be-witty comments on my entry. I was aware of everything. The looks thrown his way. His nonchalance of it all. Hmm, my day is half-complete na.

Oh, good Lord. He was near na... three... two...

I smiled shyly as he approached, my slanting eyes squinting, my usual pink cheeks reddening at being caught looking. But Sir Peter (ayoko ng Gabi. Can't help thinking about Shawie's ex-hubby, no offense meant hehe) would just smile back, like he'd done to most of the students who dared. And I dared smile at him. He was like, the only thing that keeps me interested in this university.

I could still remember that first day, when, lost with the avalanche of forms to fill up, sweat trickled and had actually gathered in my eyes and I had to wipe my face briskly, but not before Sir Peter caught sight of my desperate attempt to look composed. He planted himself beside me as I looked morosely on and up at him, feeling my world stop just for a second that seemed like... well, infinite.

He towered over me, and the sun was blocked from my view, giving me the impression that he was silhouetted. He stepped aside and there I had the shock of my life. He was more than anyone I've ever met, or encountered. More than a man, I mused to myself, still couldn't get enough of him. He seemed to exude a masculinity that was totally his own. It seemed like I was looking at ancient statues found in Athens, but this one was wearing Solo.

"Would you like assistance?" He drawled in his heavenly accented voice, so smooth I forgot agad that I was wearing my vintage shirt that looked so vintage na talaga, mas matanda pa sa mga brandy ni Domecq, and my faded jeans courtesy of Girbaud but somehow, because it was already four-years-old na, hindi na obvious ang tatak. And foolish that I was, I could only nod, not even a kurap there, shame.

"Are you trying to fill up a form?"

I nodded again. Still mesmerized.

"Are you a new student then?"

Tango uli. Oh, I can do that forever, no dice.

"I can tell." He smiled, his eyes lighting up and thankfully, not in laughter but just amusement. (Later I asked myself, di ba pareho lang 'yun? To laugh is to be amused?) "How old are you?"

I unthinkingly raised my hands like in a gesture of a kid about to count with her fingers, felt my face redden, put my hands down and squeaked, "Nineteen."

He bit his lip to prevent himself from laughing.

But I laughed na rin, inunahan ko na. I felt stupid and must've looked like it. And so he good-naturedly chuckled, too. How gorgeous, how so masculine... and I stopped laughing and was back to staring at him.

And so his questions fired. You in Psychology? Iling. Ah, English major? Tango. This form, use this. Tango uli.

"Thanks..." I told him after mustering enough courage to blurt out the word.

"No problem." He extended his hand, with a college ring. "Peter Miranda."

"Peter..." I repeated like a parrot, then caught myself. "I'm sorry, sir. I mean, Sir Peter." That's how I came to use Peter and not Gabi. Exclusive. I later realized I'm the only one who called and thought of him as Peter.

"I'm in psychology." He looked down at the transcript in my hands. "Oh, you have two years na pala in your old school. Why the switch? May psychology ka na pala. Sayang, you wouldn't be my student."

Was there regret in his voice? I hoped there was.

"Sayang nga..." I muttered again, still unable to tear my eyes off his handsome face, and he chuckled uli.

"May I tell you something," in a confiding voice, he said, "don't look so lost. Some here can be real bullies, you know."

I look lost? Jahe. "Yeah.. sure..."

He smiled again, and I realized he was generous with his smiles. Maybe because he knew he looked like a Close-Up model and was flaunting it? Nah. He seemed to me to be someone really nice. Definitely not the mayabang type.

"Would you like me to show you around?" he asked.