Chapter 12

"You'd do fine," Lily was murmuring over and over as I frowned and fidgeted on my seat in front the mirror. It's play day and last day in school. My big day as a stage star. Whew. I tried to relax my frozen limbs, sure that if this went on until I get to the stage, I will be stiff and rooted and it will be too late. Lily, the gorgeous Vogue-know-it-all woman was fussing with my hair, which was curled on a half-pony, and I couldn't stop myself from admiring... well, myself.

I had never looked this good. Was it the hair, swept back from my face in flirtatious curls? Or the lipstick, which made my pouting really cute, if I would so judge. Whatever it was, I knew I was looking my damn best, for the first time since I existed. I was wearing the short sequined sleeveless dress Renee wore at the movie, and the effect on me was, well, electric (according to Miss Sandy). Sorry if I sounded like I'm boasting but really, I have never felt and known I could look this good. I have always been the gauche, ordinary Shanni Gregory. Even Mom and Dad couldn't believe I've been landed in a role that spelled 'fame' in campus. I pleaded and cajoled to both of them until they promised they'd see me on stage.

Really.

"I can't believe I'm seeing me," I muttered.

Lily chuckled. "You don't spend enough time with yourself, that's why. But if you'd only make time, pamper yourself a little, you'll see, mas maganda ka." She applied blush on my cheeks.

"I don't think I'll be able to act. There were too many people out there!"

"Ano ka ba? Don't tell me you're stage frightened? Not this time, Shanni."

"You're ready?" Miss Sandy came up behind me and patted Lily on the back, who rolled her eyes saying, "She's so terrified, Sandy, look at her."

"Hey, relax. Think of the audience-"

"As a sea of naked people." I added grimacing, quoting Miss Sandy's famous line to boost the confidence. I couldn't very well say I can imagine people naked, especially if Peter was in the crowd. "How can I possibly relax I feel like I'm going to explode!"

The two women laughed.

"Calm down, will you? Just forget about them. It's just you and the rest of the cast out there, you and them talking. Feel good and let them feel it."

"They're still going to judge," I wailed.

"But I'm the supreme judge." Miss Sandy was being ultra-understanding today; I was starting to feel she was faking it just to make me feel better. But no. There really was genuine understanding in her eyes. "And I have judged you to be good."

Oh-kay.

I breathed a deep sigh, gave Lily a stricken look that she returned with a big smile. I stood up, mustering enough courage to see this day through. I could almost hear the announcer's voice on the stage.

The play was under way!

I watched Justin signal me for my first appearance, and I expelled a pent-up breath, counting ten to one...

I'm near na. Ready, set...

Peter

The lights were turned down, leaving the stage in a yellow subdued lighting that illuminated the few measly articles set here and there to give an appearance of a Chicago theater. The play was set in three acts, with three different settings: the theater where Roxie and Velma (Zellweger and Zeta-Jones) performs, the courthouse where Roxie will be held in trial, and the jail.

I had known all these things, but what I hadn't known, or anticipated, was Shanni appearing on stage, looking simply... stunning.

The crowd's reaction to her was a loud 'Oooh' and then came the hoots and calls that made my spine go stiff with unwanted jealousy. My mind was in turmoil, and who could blame me? I just couldn't stop staring at her as she glided from the red curtains to her place by the stage. Her hair was curled; framing her small face nicely, and I had to tear my eyes away from the red lips to look down the rest of her, and nearly had a heart attack.

I knew the role required it, but she was wearing a damnably short dress that showed off perfect legs, the material clinging to her body, giving the impression of right curves in the right places. She moved with the ease and grace I didn't know she possessed, her shoulders gleaming in the spot light. She seemed to be half-smiling all the time, as if she has a mischievous thing or two up her sleeve, and her eyes were subtly flirtatious.

My jaws literally clenched.

She was looking at that boy, Justin, with her big bright eyes seductive and demure at the same time. The boy was too close to her, the hands too near her soft skin, and I knew I couldn't watch anymore. I tried my best to dismiss her from my thoughts, but the more I stayed away, the more I seemed to gravitate towards her.

I really couldn't watch anymore. The guilt was simply too big to ignore, with Lily waving at me from the side stage. I started to rise, prepared to leave, until Shanni's accented voice sliced thru the whole theater.

Shanni: "All I want is a place in the sun, Billy, is it too much to hope for? I have never been but shadowed all my life. And now, now is my time to shine."

Justin: "Yes, it is time. And you will dazzle them, my dear. I will make sure you get there."

Shanni, moving towards Justin, her arms around him: "Maybe after the case is over we can see if we are well-suited to each other, lawyer."

Justin, his arms around Shanni: "Maybe my dear. In fact, I can hardly wait."

And I can hardly wait to smack that Justin boy in the face.