Chapter 7

Peter

I'm almost sure I'm fascinated.

The feeling came as fast as the amusement that went with it. I, Peter Gabriel Miranda had never liked younger company for the simple reason that the young ones seemed to think and talk about nothing but what's new, what's hot and what's not. One look at Shanni's glowing eyes, though, I had the feeling she could talk about what sucks and I still wouldn't mind.

I have been impulsive sharing her table four afternoons ago, but the girl had looked incredibly fetching in her windblown hair and scotch-taped eyeglasses. She was rummaging things on her table, looking for something, and the gesture was amusingly childish that I stopped by her table and asked to share it. Her wide eyes grew wider, her cheeks reddening, and I was fascinated with all the expressions passing over her face.

Disbelief. Incredulity. And unmistakable gladness.

If there was one thing I could admit to myself, it was that Shanni Gregory was a knockout.

I could still remember seeing her teary-eyed that day on the registration, grateful for my help, and adoring when I offered to tour her around. Her face was too expressive, and I had immediately known she adored me. I was aware how her eyes followed me whenever I passed by.

The diary given to me was just the right sort of thing she'd possess. It had been funny, interesting, and it somehow pleased me that someone adored me to the point of taking note of my wardrobe. There were words like 'hunk', 'devastating' and 'gorgeous', used many times in all the entries, and Shanni was the right sort of girl who'd write things like that.

Absurd as it may seem, I wished that was the case.

And so I was more aware of her because of that diary. What I wasn't aware of was my own reaction to her.

I could not even fake it, dear God, the sudden jolt of electricity that passed between us when I shook her hand until I was sure she felt it, too. But Shanni was staring up at me with her forehead creased in a frown, and her eyes seem darker than usual. She was confused, perhaps with all the gossips milling around. What was that she was saying again?

That she'd stop seeing me?

Goodness.

Would I allow it?

And where had the guilt come from, as if I was already cheating on Lily?

"Sir?" it was almost a whisper. I sucked in my breath as she bit her lower lip.

I was committed. I already have a girlfriend. I kept reminding myself that it was better I stay away from her before she get too close. But the gorgeous eyes waited and stared up at me like she expected nothing, and I found myself saying, "Look, Shanni, I like your company. Why let others ruin our friendship?"

"The others don't know that." She shrugged her shoulders. "The friendship thing, I mean."

I couldn't stop myself that I pressed on. "This is nothing harmless." Oh yeah, Peter? My inner conscience nagged again and I tuned out.

"Can you tell that to the whole school?" The incredulity in her voice was softened by the smile in her eyes, and it took all my willpower not to suck in my breath again.

Her effect on me was beginning to rattle me. She sat down again, and I realized I was still holding her arm. "Sorry."

"It's okay." She inspected the part I just held, and bit her lower lip when we both saw the faint red marks I made.

I must have looked stricken, for she laughed and said, "Hey Sir, it's okay."

"I didn't mean... I didn't know..." I was at a loss for words and my mind couldn't conjure up anything suitable to say. Anything that would somehow explain my sudden savageness.

And possessiveness. I was surprised and amazed at the thought but couldn't dismiss it.

"I'm late for a practice with Miss Sandy," she intercepted. She looked down at her watch, then back at me again. Her eyes were wide and bright and they focused on me. "I'm playing the lead."

"Was it the play scheduled for this sem?"

"It is." The obvious joy that swept her face was like letting in the sun on a cloudy day. I shook my head for the poetic turn my thoughts were taking, but couldn't dismiss the fact that her enthusiasm was affecting me.

"You got the lead?" Somehow this didn't surprise me. She had a remarkable face and could very well pass for an actress. I was even surprised when I first saw her back on registration day, when she looked oddly like a teen star who just tumbled out of bed and wore the first thing that came to mind.

She nodded enthusiastically, her eyes glowing. "I will be Roxie."

Roxie. If I remember it right, the role was played by Renee Zellweger on the movie Chicago.

Who somehow looked a little like her, I thought surprised.

And before I could stop himself I was already asking, "Can I watch?"

***

"Shanni naman! Turn to Justin, you're supposed to be talking to him! And don't stand there so stiff, you're acting like a zombie. Sway your hips when you walk. Lift your chin. Pout. You should be doing a lot of pouting. Look as if you're the world's famous courtesan and feeeeeel it!!!"

Okay. So Peter was laughing down there at front row as I get another round of criticism from Miss Sandy. I was center stage, the spotlight's on me, but all I wanted to do was cower for cover and pull Peter away from the theater. Why had I not insisted that he go his way? But then again, who stood a chance when you encounter pleading brown eyes?

Me, as Roxie: "You could help me make a name." I was instructed to tease Justin with my fingers. I mean, trail my fingers on the collar of his shirt. So I did.

Miss Sandy (shouting from below): Lean closer!

By this scene I was walking a little and knew that Miss Sandy was clucking in disapproval of my lame performance. I wanted to tell her I'd do good next time, just not now, with Peter's eyes riveted on me down there.

I felt sorely exposed. Afraid he'd see my mistakes and be disappointed. It mattered that much to me, oh yes, so I geared myself up to act better before he changes his mind.

The practice went on for an hour until Peter gestured he must be off, and up there on the stage I could only nod and smile and wave goodbye, fighting down the feeling of relief and disappointment. But hey. Beggars can't be choosers. And I'm already glad for this chance to be with him, watch him watching me.

My steps were light and bouncy as I went home. And for the first time in years, I was really happy.