Chapter 24

Dark. It was dark.

It took me about a full minute before I realized I had slept face down on my bed. I sat up and groped for the lampshade, and it lighted up as soon as I touched it. Nine o'clock. My watch says so.

But my door opened and my head snapped at once, my mouth gaping in an O of shock as Peter entered carrying a tray.

"Who told you to go there?" his voice boomed on the small confines of my room until I was shaking uncontrollably, my eyes wide and my pulses skittering. Peter. In a casual shirt that looked like haute couture in him, his usual tousled hair, his usual sneer. And I could only gaze at him and stare at him in wide-eyed wonder.

Why in the name of heaven was he here?

I tried to do a mental rewind. Last night. I was in Libis. Had a few drinks. I could still feel the after-effects as I raised my hand to my forehead. And there was Lara. And there was Peter.

"None of your business," I replied, defensive. I looked at him and frowned some more. "What are you doing here this early?"

"I stayed the night," he replied casually that at first, all my mind could register was the fact that he was here. And then...

"You stayed the night?!" I asked incredulously.

His brow arched as if I was dim for asking such a thing. "I cooked breakfast for you."

"You shouldn't have bothered," I said hastily, eyeing him with wariness as he placed the tray on the side table, then sat down on the bed beside me. I stared at him like a love struck old fool. I didn't know I was that hungry for his presence until today, this moment, when he was sitting there so close to me, looking so fresh and masculine in a crisp white shirt. I remembered that shirt. I gave that to him before I left for Japan.

"Where are your parents?" He pulled my hand away and continued massaging my forehead. "You should've told me they were gone."

"Baguio." Now I was back again to monosyllables. How sadly pathetic.

"Again?"

I nodded. The slow circles he was making on my skin mesmerized me, until I was sure my headache was gone already.

"I was hoping to talk to them." His eyes were dark and enigmatic as he looked down at me, his face so close, his lips just inches away.

"At bakit?"

"Well, I'm sealing your future for you." The glint in his eyes was unmistakable.

"What do you mean?" I narrowed my eyes and pretended that my heart was not doing a slow dance inside my chest.

He ran a hand over his hair, and I was struck at how sexy, how masculine this man was, and to bother with me. I felt the usual glow creep in my veins when his eyes looked down at me again. "I'll resign from teaching when this semester ends. It seems I was needed in the family business sooner than planned."

I willed myself not to look dismayed.

But his next words took my breath away. "And I'm hoping you'll enroll in this school near the district, where our business was."

Huh?

He seemed serious enough, but would I dare believe what he was saying? He was almost suggesting I change schools to be near him!

"Whatever," I muttered, standing up but Peter had dragged me back down, and I narrowed my eyes when he merely looked at me.

"I'm sorry." For what he was apologizing for, I had the feeling it was for everything.

I snorted. "Kung mga ten days ago you told me that, I would've jumped for joy." I flicked my hair. "You're way too late."

Peter narrowed his eyes as if he had every right to frown, the hands on my arms tightening. "Was it Marcus?"

"Was it ever?" I rolled my eyes in sarcasm. "Marcus was the best ever male this side of the planet, not leaving me on edge if the going gets tough, and stays with me kahit pa I'm not good company because of the damned emotional roller coaster ride I've been through because of you---"

I was unable to finish that, because Peter had already hugged me so tight, his breathing ragged in my ear, saying, "I'm sorry" over and over until I was stunned and stiff on his arms. His next words took my breath away.

"--I was jealous of him! He's not the best male in your planet, I am! And I will make you pay for making me jealous..."

"Well I'm not making you jealous!" I couldn't say anything more; I was too stunned with this declaration that I could only look at him. In hope.

And Peter was doing his damn best to convince me. "Then whatever, but you're succeeding! I can't bear to see you with him! You looked so happy with him and I have never seen you that happy with me and you don't know, Shanni, how hurt I was when I saw the two of you that day. I thought you love me, I thought you'd wait for me like I asked you to. And I made sure Lily and I parted as friends because I know that's what you would want. I wanted to surprise you that Lily would never be angry with you. She was happy for us and she was happy with her Italian. What we had was long over. We were both staying because of the memories, Shanni. But ever since I met you I was always aware of you. Akala ko'y natutuwa lang ako sa 'yo, because somehow you look like a lost child. And then I started wanting to see you everyday; I started obsessing over your lips, your eyes... Shanni, I..." He paused, his face grave and serious. "I love you. I love you really."

I bit my lip.

To prevent myself from screaming.

But my heart was nearly bursting so I hugged him tighter na lang for good measure, and Peter hugged me even tighter until I was gasping for air, and he was laughing and kissing my face all over, until I smiled at him and he smiled back and we were kissing again.

"Madami ka pang ie-explain," I reminded him when I had the chance to speak. There was still the subject of how he and Lily parted, and Lara's role last night, and many other things that made me miserable for several fucking days.

"We have all the time," he whispered on my neck, and I sighed and silently prayed in thanks and wished to all the stars that I could see in my window, that my love would have a happy ending.

Cheesy, yes, but isn't that what we all wished for? ;-)