Chapter 13

Shanni

I was beginning to feel real jittery here.

I was expecting many people, but not a full house. There was not a vacant seat; in fact, there were students standing here and there, and I was sure the Drama Org was forced to sell additional tickets just to accommodate the demand. This crowd paid to be entertained. The students paid to watch me. And out of the corner of my eye I can see Lily, her pretty face beaming, as if she was actually proud to see me up here.

On stage.

Shanni Gregory. Campus Star.

It had a nice ring to it, don't you agree?

And now I knew why a play was called a 'play', because I felt like I was only playing, like a five year-old toying with her Mom's make up. My nervousness gave way to confidence, and before long, I was already dazzling the crowd, and myself. I had never thought I could make it. It has always been just a dream. But now, I'm here. Making the most of tonight.

The last scene was one, which had an impact on me personally, and facing Daniella who played Velma, I began to warm up on my part.

Here, I dreamily faced the audience, knowing at the back of my mind that Peter was somewhere among them, watching me, listening to me, and I was secretly wishing he'd see the parallel among the characters and us-- Lily, Peter and me. Because here in school we did share the same spotlight. And my friendship with Lily was something he, Peter, who made it happen.

And then it was over. The applause was enthusiastic, and Justin winked me as we all linked arms and bowed to the crowd. I was exhilarated with all the glory, and it didn't seem like a small one to me. The hell if it was only a campus play. The hell if it was nothing like Grease or Miss Saigon. For me, it was the best play that starred the best me.

When it seemed the applause was never-ending, I looked down at the crowd and saw Lily talking to a bunch of students. She waved at me when I caught her eye. I bowed again and was the first to go off stage, only to see Peter smiling behind the curtains, smiling at me.

"Hey, you like it?" I asked, and swallowed when he stepped closer, so close I could almost feel his thighs against mine. I think I had a mild stroke on that, but I couldn't pull away, couldn't move or do anything except stare up at him. There was something in his eyes I couldn't put a name into...

Something terribly frightening...

And exciting.

We stared at each other for what seemed like an eternity. I never thought I'd be this tensed in front of him, my legs felt like they would wobble under me. Facing him all I can think about was the darkness in his eyes, the throbbing of his pulse there on his neck, his jaws clenched.

I can feel the undercurrents of something incredibly impossible pass back and forth between us, when he laced his hand through mine. Nothing mattered to me, all faded into oblivion, as I stared up at him in wonder, in hope, in guilt and in love.

He bent down his head until his lips was almost grazing my cheek, and whispered in a voice that sent chills from my neck to the rest of my body, "You did great. I'm proud of you."

Cool.