Chapter 20

Peter knew no Shanni Gregory.

Or at least, it seemed that way to me, when a full week had passed and Peter was back to being a snob, which only added to my already deflated self-esteem. I would meet him on corridors but he would just look and then walk nonchalantly by, or he'd pass me by the post-it wall which was again my safe hang-out, and still not even a HI from him. It seemed Peter had doomed me to the sidelines again, and I was back to staring at him like the others.

How pathetic. But that's the case.

I couldn't pretend I could bear this anymore. Marcus had tried talking to me many times since my declaration to stop schooling this semester, and change schools come next term, two months more to go. Somehow, my reason for leaving is also the reason that stops me from acting out hastily yet again. I couldn't leave Peter and not see him anymore, but I also couldn't bear the cold treatment he'd subjected me into.

And I thought, while en route to our house with no one home again (my parents finding it fun to be alone together for a change, in Baguio this time because according to Mom: It reminds us so much of Japan, my dear. Your dad misses the cold.), I knew nothing short of Peter could bring me back to life.

I was literally dragging myself to move once at home.

It was in my room, after having cooked my self a hotdog and ham dinner, and I saw myself in the mirror that I gave pause. Kaya pala Peter doesn't want me. I look like a scrubby kid, wan and pale from all the days of sulking.

I bathed almost at once.

Toweling my hair dry had always been an ordeal, so I let the wet strands hang loose and drip from my shoulders. I fished out from my cabinet the tops Lily had given me, still in their paper bags, and my hand came in contact with a soft fabric. My gasp of awe was nothing at the sight of the gift. Of shimmering material, it was maroon, low-cut at the bodice, with just the right fit. I was pleased with myself when I donned it. I found my black shorts and donned it on, too, and the effect was nice. Made me feel sexy.

I groped for my cell phone and dialed Lily's number.

"Shanni baby!" Lily's squeal reached me from all those miles away, and I was glad at the obvious joy in Lily's voice. I could hear a man speaking in the background. Must be Roberto, I mused.

"I... I just want to thank you..."

"Oy, you've seen the blouses na? I was sure the last time I called na hindi mo pa nabubuksan eh. I was waiting for this reaction, you know."

I had to laugh at that. "Really, Lily, these are fabulous. Thanks so much. I..."

"Shan, ha? Nagiging corny ka na. Since when did you start sounding mushy?"

I giggled helplessly, clutching the phone tighter.

"Since the day you told me all the things you said." It was true.

"How's Gabi na? Kayo na ba?"

I refused to answer that and Lily must have sensed it, for she added, "I'll send you some pics of me and Bert in your email, Shan. I'm here now in his pad, I think I'd do it now."

"Ay, sige, do send. Can't wait to see this hunk who stole you away from Manila." I made my voice sound lighter.

"Paris is so much better, my dear," Lily boasted laughing. And after a couple of goodbyes, we both hang up.

I connected to the WIFI.

Within minutes I had a full view of the man Lily was obsessed with, and I can almost say Roberto is a knockout. The pictures she attached in my email were either solos of Roberto or the two of them together, and Lily's happiness was evident in every photo. She was positively radiant. There were a number of pictures where she was caught looking up at Roberto, as if she couldn't believe her luck.

Must be love, I deduced.

It was only by this time that I allowed myself to make an analysis of the three of us. Lily and Peter have been so long together, but I have never seen Lily look this radiant when she was with Peter. And she was really beautiful with this Roberto. It was as if she was a few years younger than her age. She was blooming, happy, in love.

And I'm happy for her.

I'll always be thankful she was a mature, understanding, liberal woman.

I was composing a reply when my eyes strayed to the DVD tape on the side table, and my heart twisted as memories flooded back. Without thinking I played it on my laptop, sat on the bed, and cried like a lunatic on the way to asylum.

I missed Peter so very, very, very damned much.