Chapter 10

Though I was closer to Lily since then, it was Peter who acted more like a protector, a big brother, a kainis-minsan-kasi-KJ gimmick planner, and who declared I mustn't stay out later than ten o'clock. They took turns on dropping me to my home, to which Mom and Dad get to meet the two of them and gushed "how lucky naman our baby to have such friends like you". Yikes. Mom was so plastic it sucks! But my friends didn't know this, although Peter seemed lost in thought after that exaggerated display that I was the 'beloved heiress'.

I became closer to Lily after Marcus.

My meeting Marcus was not worthy of a love story.

He was that guy. That speeding student who didn't even bother to apologize after stepping on my glasses and knocking me over.

He was walking out of the classroom just as I was about to get inside, and recognizing him, the devil who was the reason I lost my diary, I pushed his chest so hard he stepped back in surprise.

I stood my ground even when he frowned and pushed him back. Again.

Marcus was so stunned he could only stare at me.

I walked away as fast as I could, but strong hands clamped down my wrist and I whirled around, only to find him looking down at me with an apologetic look that was almost like pleading.

He recognized me after all. "Please. Let me pay for that."

Who could resist a gorgeous boy after that?

Marcus is a graduating student, a hunk in all his boyishness, and very obvious naman in showing me his interest. Lily noted it right away and so Marcus became another member of our club, with Lily prophesying Marcus would be my boyfriend in no time. But though I liked having him around, I delayed going steady with him until next sem starts.

Yap, folks. The semester passed me by like (snapping of fingers)that.

And I delayed. All because after the play, I was leaving for a trip to Japan with my parents who decided they just might try to save their marriage, for the nth time.

"Why naman ang aga?" Lily frowned after Marcus told us he had to be home early, his family awaiting his return for dinner. We were having a little despedida party for me, and Peter and Lily ordered pizzas I was sure we wouldn't be able to eat in one sitting.

Lily couldn't -and wouldn't-understand that families such as what Marcus has still exists, the kind that spends dinner together no matter what. It was the one thing she didn't approve of Marcus, the one thing that she insisted would pass Marcus for a bore.

"I'll see you out," I said.

Marcus smiled.

We walked down the stairs in silence, though I could hear his breathing as he trudged after me.

Standing by the gates, we faced each other. His car was already parked outside, and the low rumble of the engine was enough to keep me distracted.

I knew what Marcus wanted. I just couldn't bring myself to give it.

"How long will you be gone?" Marcus' eyes were focused on me, and he inched closer that I had to take a step back.

"After a month? I'm not really sure."

"You'll take care, will you?"

I nodded. "Of course."

And before I could react, he was already bending his head and pressing his lips on mine.

Marcus' mouth was insistent, and there was something calming about the way he tenderly held my head with one hand. But I was too surprised to even flinch away. I didn't hear anyone open or close the door, but I had a glimpse of Peter walking back up the stairs when I finally pulled free from Marcus' hold. And even then my head was reeling at the fact that I'd just been kissed, that he just kissed me, and I couldn't understand why I was not feeling all the things the books swore I'd feel at this monumental event.

But I allowed myself to be kissed because honestly? I was curious with it. And Marcus must've sensed my surrender for he again leaned close, and he deepened the kiss, murmuring my name when he could speak. From somewhere far away I heard a distinct "yuhoo!" that came from up above us, and thought hazily that maybe Lily was looking down on us from the window. Peter must've told her what he saw, I thought.

"Shanni," Marcus breathed after pulling away, his eyes alight. I had never seen a boy's eyes like that. So it was true that eyes can smile? Marcus' eyes were definitely smiling.

"That was some kiss," I joked.