Chapter 21

"You have to take History, Shanni, para makumpleto mo loads mo this sem." Miss Sandy told me one afternoon when I went to see the woman in her office.

"Is that what I have to do to pass for Dean's List?" I asked, groaning. It had been nagging at my mind all summer that I could make it to the list if only I hadn't been pabanjing-banjing last semester. And I clearly needed something to take my mind off Peter's pande-deadma. I knew I had brains if only I'd deign to use it.

"Of course. You must be fully-loaded." Miss Sandy returned my schedule to me, eyeing me with interest. Now why did I have the feeling the woman wanted to ask me something...?

"Madame, blurt it out," I said.

Miss Sandy laughed self-consciously. "It's just that, everyone's wondering, no? Since Lily left I haven't seen either you or Gabi at the Java's. And no one knew why Lily hooked up with her Italian. She and Gabi was almost an institution here."

"I wish I could answer that, Miss, but I just have no idea." As simple as that. Less talk, less mistakes. After a goodbye, I went out of the office.

I was registered at History class that same afternoon, and cursed aloud when I was once again finding my way amidst all the dark corridors. Damn, I was late for History. In fact, I was fourteen days' late. Thanks to Miss Sandy I was accepted in the class despite that.

Room 402.

I fidgeted with the neckline of my bodice; one of the many tops Lily brought which bared my chest just above the swell of my breasts, not to mention the dipping cut at the back. I hoped I would do the blouse justice in my jeans and sandals (I discarded my sneakers in favor of Rusty Lopez's) and then headed straight the door.

I gasped aloud when I saw Peter on the desk by the blackboard.

"Shanni."

I was rooted on the spot as all eyes turned to me.

"History?" I croaked, my heart pounding all too suddenly.

Peter nodded, his dark eyes hooded. I immediately despaired aspiring for the Dean's List. Now, how can I possibly study under him? And why was he teaching History, anyway?

"Take a seat."

I looked from his handsome face to where he pointed, and saw Marcus waving at me frantically. Thank heavens!

I nodded mutely, told my brain that I must walk in order to reach that seat beside Marcus, and like a teener balancing myself on my heels, I walked gravely by to the back of the room.

I sat down and exhaled a pent-up breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Hey, good you're here." Marcus leaned on me and gave my cheek a slight kiss. I was so surprised at this that I could only look at him in wonder, then Marcus winked, and it was obvious he kissed me for a reason.

Well, I'd deal with that later.

I opened my binder and pretended to write, when damn! All I could think of was Peter standing there, in front, in my History class and I'd be seeing him for one whole semester. I couldn't decide if I would jump or sing or dance for this, buti na lang at may konti pa 'kong kahihiyan.

After several minutes just listening to Peter and not raising my head, my heart got the better of me and so I stole a glance at him from under my lashes. Oh, Lord. He was the prettiest sight to greet those with sore eyes. I watched and focused on him as Peter talked about the first civilizations on earth, which could have been tragic news for all the attention I paid to it.

Hay. So good to see him up close.

Marcus snatched my binder from me, and I gave a start of surprise, then felt embarrassed when he showed me the neat white page now filled with Peter's name. I didn't know I'd been writing his name!

"Shanni."

Huh?

My eyes snapped at Peter and he was looking at me.

Was he asking me something? Damn, but I wasn't listening to a word!!!

I looked helplessly at Marcus, then stood up, my hands sweating in nervousness.

He opened his mouth and I was sure a question came forth.

WHAAAAAAT?

I opened my mouth as I racked my brain for an answer, then feeling stupid and miserable, I shook my head, fighting down humiliation.

"You aren't even listening." Peter said matter-of-factly. Then he added, "I was sure it was taught in high school, or don't you remember?" He looked at me with an unfathomable expression in his eyes and I sat down, dejected.

I felt Marcus' hand reached for mine, squeezing it in sympathy or pity. Whatever. All I could do was flash Peter with angry eyes. So he was hell-bent on humiliating me, huh? On my first day in his class. Peter gave the room an exam but I didn't flinch in my seat, too angry to do anything. I looked at him and only my self-control prevented me from walking out on him in front of his class.

He would look at me from time to time, too. Nothing. Nothing in his face that suggested he was sorry for putting me in such public shame, although somehow I could admit I deserved it.

"Pass your papers." Peter intoned, and there followed a shuffling of papers. I passed an empty paper instead, with only my name on it. I would have written I HATE YOU in bold letters but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

At the bell's ring suggesting the end of class, I shot to my feet and walked out as fast as I could, Marcus calling out after me.

Marcus caught up with me by the stairs.

"Hey. Ako ba kaaway mo?" Marcus fell in step beside me, taking my books from me. I said not a word. I still felt like crying. Or maybe I can really change schools. Stop now. Work part-time until the next semester. Anything!!!

"Shanni, talk to me."

"Ayoko. Not now. I'm in shock. I am--" I was too hurt to say anything more.

We reached Marcus' car without us saying anything to each other, and I leaned on his car's compartment, Marcus beside me.

"Don't," he said when a tear finally made its way on my cheek. He raised one hand and wiped the tear away, but the gesture only compounded the misery I was bottling inside.

I gave a sob and all hell broke loose.

I cried on his shoulder, not caring if the students passing by the parking lot were looking at us. I sobbed as if I was sobbing my heart, my lungs and all my insides out, and still it wasn't enough.

"Why do I love him so much, ha, Marc? And it's okay with me if he wouldn't bother with me anymore, but to put me through where he put me through back in his class, well isn't that, the most cruel thing he could have done to me? He didn't even explain to me what he was thinking when he kissed me and dated me behind Lily's back. He didn't bother to tell me if I was just a passing fling because Lily was no-show, or if he regretted kissing me but just couldn't tell me to my face! Well, why wouldn't he tell me to my face anyway? That's only fair after having me wait like a crackpot old fool, right?"

But Marcus merely patted my back, as I sobbed and wetted his shirt with my torrent of tears. We stayed that way until I could no longer pump tears from my tear ducks. And I felt the breeze seep through the fabric of my blouse, the coldness penetrating under my skin until it settled in my heart. And I wished I could just vanish into thin air than see Peter again next day, with his dark eyes and equally dark good looks.

"Ayoko na, ayoko na talaga," I wailed for the nth time.

And all Marcus could say was "Calm down, it's okay."

What's OKAY???