Chapter 16

Shanni

I squinted my eyes as my parents retrieved our luggage.

I had told Peter what time I was due to arrive. And Peter had said he'd be here to - borrowing his words-whisk me away to this cool new resto in Makati. And so I waited there by the airport lobby, my heart doing a double take at the sight of Peter's familiar frame.

Aw, shit! Ang gwapo ng Lolo!

"Peter, over here!" I called out after it was obvious for a minute that Peter was craning his neck to look for me. Then he turned to the sound of my voice and his face cracked in a smile.

Kuu, gorgeous as ever ang demonyo!

"Shanni-baby!" Okay. So Peter is nahawa na rin kay Lily. He held me on both my shoulders, looked me up and down. "Hmm, nice coat. Namula ka ah! Are you okay? Akina 'yan." He retrieved my shoulder bag from me, looping my arm into his.

"Ganoon." I grimaced, tried not to look pleased. "Am I okay daw ba when I was wearing lipstick and blush-on for the first time, and Lolo, this is a Dona Karan original, yes this coat, so will you please wipe that look off your face na parang hindi ko 'to afford. Yes, I couldn't afford it but Mom certainly could."

Peter threw back his head and laughed. "Is that lipstick then? Akala ko, kumain ka ng bubblegum." He hugged me, which he usually did if I was angry with him (of course, I made it a point to be angry at least three times a week!)

"Lumayu-layo ka nga diyan. Tagal mo dumating. I waited here like, ages." I pretended to be frowning all because I wanted to jump with joy.

"Where are your folks?"

"Just here and about. I want coffee na. Asap."

Peter laughed. "Oh, Shan. I missed you, you know."

I stopped walking.

Peter looked down at me, chuckling. "I did, you know. Wala na kasi akong maasar dito, life gets boring sometimes."

"Sometimes." Great. Just great.

Peter merely smiled, like a kid who was hiding mischief up his sleeve. "Bilisan natin. It seems your parents are going Duty-free. I want a Dom Perignon."

"The only thing you can get from me is a Dom-ecq brandy, sorry."

"Don't be KJ. I bought you several cds. Let's try that player you bought for me."

I stopped, widening my eyes in shock.

Peter stopped and looked at me incredulously. "'Wag mong sabihin na naiwan mo!"

"But I did!"

"Shanni I can just strangle you. The cds I bought you cost so much more than that player you're boasting, and now you'd say-"

"That it's in my pocket," I concluded, and as Peter laughed red-faced, I brandished the player from my coat and waved it in his face.

"Good." Peter caught my wrist and twisted it.

"Aray! Ayan na nga ah! Sadista!" I watched him fumble eagerly with the silver player.

"For this I bought you A Walk In the Clouds. In Bluray."

I linked my arms through his. "Tara, let's buy two Dom Perignon."

***

"Not that! Not that!"

"'Wag ka nga sumigaw. Pagod na pagod parents mo, ang ingay mo." Okay. So Peter was back again in his big-brother-mode. He nagged as I screamed, put down the chips from my bed and placed it on the carpet by the floor instead. I slumped next to him and had to frown at his choice of movie.

"Ayoko niyan. The Pianist? I've seen that movie about, a hundred times already na. Bakit kasi you bought that one pa?"

"It's in Bluray, right?" Marcus said in defense of Peter. He had come over the house the minute he learned I'd arrived, and gave me a big hug in full view of my parents, who smiled like they approved of the boy already, goodness!

I grimaced again. As if that would make a difference. "What now, you wanted to see the making of the movie? Eh it's not going to be much anyway, mabuti sana kung Harry Potter binili mo."

"I have those in the bag, quiet." Peter focused on the screen and settled back contentedly.

"Really? Oh sige. Just this night."

Marcus chuckled.

I slumped on the floor next to Marcus as Peter went downstairs to get ice, and as soon as the latter was out of hearing range, Marcus nudged me on the side.

"Did you tell him already?"

I frowned at him. "How could I do that? Lily said it was our secret and now I'm beginning to regret letting you into it!"

"He has to know, Shan."

"Shut up. I don't know how to do it," I hissed at Marcus. "You do it kaya?"

"That would be insulting," Marcus whispered. "Lalake ako, it would hurt his ego coming from me."

"But Lily said it was nothing!" Hay, this drama is giving me headaches. "She was just having fun with him!"

"Having fun with whom?"

Marcus and I turned our heads at the same time to see Peter leaning down on us.