Chapter 18

Peter was good. Damn, he was better. Okay! The best in all my limited experience, but I felt, with his tongue teasing the insides of my mouth, that I knew quite well no one could kiss like he did. With the same hunger, the same undivided attention, the same pulse-stirring sensations.

Maybe it was a good thing that this is happening now, no matter how fleeting, for this moment is good enough to last me a lifetime.

And even after all the drama, alone in my bed, I was still as wide awake as an owl, staring into space, feeling for all the world like Matchbox20 who became unwell after 'staring at the ceilings, making friends with shadows on the wall'.

I would always remember how it started, and the end was just the right sort of anti-climax for something so earth shattering as Peter's kiss.

At first, he'd been ruthless, his kisses feverish and urgent. But he pulled away and must've seen how shocked, how lip-swollen and wide-eyed I was, for when he pulled me to him again, there was no more the frantic movements of earlier, but slower this time, tender this time, teasing me with love bites this time.

So it was true you'd have no more sense of time. When I woke as if from a spell, it was to find Peter breathing raggedly, staring at me and yet his eyes seemed not to see me, but through me. I felt thoroughly exposed. Uncertain. Maybe he was shocked to find it was Shanni Gregory he was kissing and not Lily Galera. It was the "lost girl on school's first day" he was holding and not his catwalk-gorgeous girlfriend.

And only when Peter shifted did I realize I was sitting on his lap, cradled there like Santa would a kid-wisher, my neatly pony-tailed hair in tumbled waves at my back, my arms clutching his sleeves, and hot shame coursed though me like molten lava.

WHAT IN THE NAME OF $@%*!$ HAVE I DONE THIS TIME?!

"Peter I..." my voice came out as a croak, heavens!

He chuckled. And my heart skipped a beat at the hope that welled in my whole being at this small sound of amusement.

"What is this you have on?" With his finger he traced the lace on the neckline of my blouse, which I wore for the simple purpose of dazzling him, yet I was the one dazzled when his fingers came in contact with my skin, the touch so erotic it sent shivers down my spine.

"It's... called... lace."

He chuckled. "I know. And you look beautiful."

Really? Since when? Since when?

His eyes held mine for a moment, unfathomable depths that I couldn't read nor understand, until Peter scooped me up and my heart was pounding until I felt like my whole body was throbbing in time with my heartbeat, too conscious that his arms were around me and he was carrying me as easily as he would a child.

But Peter had lain me down on my bed, covered me with comforter, stared at me for a full thirty seconds, then smiled and stood up and went out the door.

***

I dreaded seeing Peter that next day even when he said he'd drop by.

Okay. Please don't point out how tensed I was in my pale yellow cotton top and beige slacks, a real first after all the denims I was noted for. And I merely brushed my hair, let it hang loose, liking the waves created by my all-time dependable rollers. I was already by the door overlooking the road when Peter's car parked in front the gates.

He slid out, gorgeous as ever in a plain white shirt, so casual and yet... so male. I couldn't think of any other word, aware that he was smiling at me.

How in heaven's name was I going to react after last night?

"Kanina ka pa?" Peter asked as I met him halfway, and before I could answer him he had already wound his arms around me and gave me a dizzying kiss that made my legs weak and my heart sing Evanescence's My Immortal. I closed my eyes at the assault of his mouth, felt his hands touch my back, squeezing, and wished and wished that the moment would never end.