Twist of Fate

(Bennett)

It's the only thing that makes perfect sense.

There has to be a mole in one of the packs. My eyes were on Marcana when Tucker proposed the idea but if I thought about it logically, they were warned about Tobias being trouble. Even though it has been four months, I doubt the mole would be in Marcana.

The absurdity of it was possible but knowing the pack's strength and the ferocity of the prominent families, who the fuck in their right mind would want to kidnap the future Luna and fourth-in-command, and incur the wrath of their predecessors and the entire pack?

Only a madman who thought he had everything figured out.

And I don't think anyone in Marcana has been recently diagnosed with a mental illness.

Crescent Hill and Lativa are out of the question. Lativa found their Luna in Marcana. Ezra's not a moron. Crescent Hill keeps mostly to themselves and seems quite content with everything they have, from real estate, power and wealth, to plain humility.

The only two packs to really speculate are Black Rock and Blackwater. I doubt it would be anyone in my pack though, considering our history.

It was all too confusing, and I was too tired at the moment.

Given the events of the day and knowing that Hunter would have commanded most warriors of Black Rock to hunt down Tobias and aid Tucker in his search, I would probably be having takeout tonight. I didn't mind. I had some cash to buy a small meal to sustain me until I had a hearty breakfast come tomorrow.

Placing the correct amount of cash on the chicken noodle cup soup I bought, the cashier smiled up at me and accepted the money. She quickly rang up my purchase and handed me the bill.

"Would you like a bag?" she asked, her hand already hovering over the plastic bags on her left.

"Thank you." I offered her a small smile. The cashier flushed the colour of red, her head lowered trying to concentrate on her task while I watched her bag my cup soup dinner, the Dr. Pepper and the packet of potato chips. She handed over my bagged purchase, wishing me a goodnight.

As I exited the supermarket, digging around in the bag, I fished out the snack and popped the packet open. Nibbling on a chip, my face instantly fell when I glanced up to see the last person I wanted to lay eyes on tonight.

Carter Hayes stood leaning against the front of his Chevrolet Silverado, arms akimbo and one foot jammed against the front grail. He had an amused glimmer in his blue eyes as he watched me carefully. I groaned out loud, letting him know that I did not want to be associated with him.

Carter only smiled making me roll my eyes before I walked off, turning my back to him. I was quite content to show him I wouldn't acknowledge his presence longer, but it was short lived when he called out to me.

"Where are you going?"

Turning, I saw that he was still in his same pose, blue eyes shimmering with intense amusement.

"Home. Where else?" I shot back, my voice though soft, was none too kind. Carter cracked a grin.

"Let me give you a ride." he offered, tapping the bonnet of his ride. This offer had me curious, even though all he saw was a blank expression.

"I have legs that are in proper, full function. But thanks, anyway." I wanted to get away from him. Not only because I was tired; I was hungry and behind on my schedule of working out and meditation. Today's events had thrown off that repetitive cycle I've lived the last four months. I was desperate to get back to it.