Chapter 16

-Chapter 16-

"What do you mean she's dead?" I stuttered.

"Josie called Samantha's parents saying she had stood her up and she was worried because she wasn't answering her calls or texts or anything. Her parents tried her too, but they couldn't reach her. Worried , they went home to find her laying motionless on her bed covered in her own blood. She had slit her wrists. They found a note, drenched in her blood. The only think they could make out of it was, 'I can't do this anymore, tell Corinna I'm sorry. Goodbye.' They were too late." Mum's voice broke at the end and she covered her mouth to muffle her sobs.

I took in a shaky breaths and tried to swallow the lump in my throat.

"No.." I whispered as the tears flowed from my eyes dampening my cheeks.

I let out an inaudible sob and my knees gave out.

Colton rushed and caught me before I hit the ground. He wrapped his arms around me in a tight embrace and I buried my face in his chest.

"Corinna!" Mum exclaimed.

"Nooo!" I screamed in his chest as I started sobbing hysterically. He rubbed small circles on my back and rocked me back and forth.

"Corinna.." Colton mumbled against my hair, "I'm here baby. I promise."

I sobbed harder, clutching his shirt tightly in my fist.

I could just imagine what she must've been feeling, lying there, reading to end her life. This is all my fault. If I hadn't been selfish and gone after that gem, none of this would've ever happened.

"This i-is a-all my f-fault," I said hysterically.

"No, Corinna," Mum said as she dropped on her knees in front of me, "It's not your fault. Never for even a second think that it is."

"Sweetheart, look at me," Mum caressed my cheek as she turned my head to look at her, "It's not your fault baby."

I closed my eyes and my sobs grew as I became more hysteric. I started breathing heavily as I couldn't breath.

"Shit," Colton cursed under his breath, "Corinna look at me."

He turned my head towards his and looked at me in the eye, "Breath. Concentrate on your breathing. In and out."

I tried doing as he told me to. In. Out. In. Out. Slowly, I calmed down and my sobs grew quite.

"That's it baby, that's it." He said kissing my forehead and bringing my head back to his chest.

"Corinna," Mum asked as clutched my hand, "Do you want to go see her?"

I inhaled sharply just as I thought about her. "I don't know if I can do it Mum." I stuttered in a small voice.

"It's okay sweetie, no one's rushing you." Mum said, smiling through her tears, "Lets go inside."

I nodded and got to my feet with the help of Colton. With his arm still around my waist, he led me back inside towards the living room where I collapsed on the sofa, running a hand down my face to hold back the tears. Colton sat beside me, stroking my back.

"Will you go to the funeral?" He asked hesitantly.

I nodded, "Yes. I wouldn't miss it for the world."

I turned to him, giving an apologetic smile, "I'm sorry I wet your shirt."

"It's fine," He shook his head, "It doesn't matter. Shirts can be replaced. People can't. You have to grieve and I'll be with you every step of the way."