Chapter 1

-Chapter 1-

Beep. Beep. Beep.

To think the sound of an alarm is the worst thing a person could wake up to.

This is worse. Whatever the beep sound is, it's irritating me to no ends and it won't even stop.

I tired to block it out; but I couldn't. I tired opening my eyes; but I couldn't do even that.

I was confused and scared. I could see nothing but darkness, hear nothing but that beep sound. I couldn't even move a muscle.
The last thing I remember was our car rolling off the highway and hitting a tree. And then everything is blank.

Everywhere I could see there was darkness. Even the beep sound was slowly starting to disappear.

I felt cold. And empty.

But then, I heard a voice. An unfamiliar voice calling out to me.

"Corinna."

I tired to speak, to answer to that voice. But I couldn't.

"You have to wake up. You can not give up."

I wanted so to say that I did want to wake up. That I am not giving up but I couldn't because I didn't have the strength anymore.

"Fight my darling, because you are so much more stronger than this."

I am fighting this. I will keep fighting this. Till I see my ray of sunshine. I will fight.

Slowly I felt the darkness fading away and the light sleeping in from the corners.

I tried moving my fingers, giving them a little twitch.

"Look! I think she is waking up."

This time it was a different voice. A very familiar one.

It was Arabelle's. My grandmother's sister. The one I was going to.

Slowly, my strength came back to me and I tried opening my eyes.

Through the narrowed slits, I could see the bright lights surrounding me. Blinding me even.

I moved my hand up to my eyes to cover them and managed to mutter, "Too bright."

From the cracks of my fingers, I saw the lights dim down and I removed my hand, opening my eyes fully.

I saw myself lying on a hospital bed, surrounded by a few people.

A doctor, Arabelle and a few others I did not recognize.

"Welcome back sweetheart." Arabelle smiles down at me."

"Hi." I muttered, giving them all a small smile.

The woman standing next to Arabelle came forward and stood on my right, giving my hand a gentle squeeze.

"I'm sorry we had to meet this way. But I'm glad you're here." She said with a warm smile, "I hope you get well soon."

"Thanks." I forced back a smile.

"Oh and," she said again, giving me a huge smile, "Welcome to Black Forest, Colorado."

——————————

"Arabelle, your house is amazing." I spun on my heels and gave her a huge smile.

"Thanks hun." She chuckled, giving me a hug, "I hope you enjoy your stay here. Do you like your room?"

"I love it!" I exclaimed, looking around the room which is now mine.

The room was huge. Almost as big as mine back home. With a king sized bed pushed against the right corner beside which there was a side table.

As we enter the room, right next to the door is a small closet. Which is apparently my shoe closet. On the left is a table with a chair and next to it is a small bookshelf.
Next to to the shoe closet is another door which leads to my actual closet and the bathroom.
There was also a couch posed against the wall adjacent to the book shelf.
A huge black furry carpet in front of my bed above which hangs a cute egg chair.
There are fairy lights hung around the room on the walls.

All in all, the room had a very aesthetic look to it. And I loved it.

"You didn't have to go all out. I'm just staying for a while." I told her slumping onto the fluffy couch.

"Well," she said sitting down next to me," You are my sister's granddaughter. And since I don't have any of my own, I'm gonna spoil you like my own."

I chuckled giving her a side hug, "Thanks."

"Now, why don't you rest while I go and prepare dinner." She said getting up, "You just got back from the hospital and you have a big day tomorrow so rest, okay?"

"Ugh, school." I groaned running a hand down my face, "Do I have to?"

"Yes dearest, you do." She deadpanned, "I will accept anything else but no saying no for school. Education is a very important part of your life."

"Yes Arabelle, I know." I muttered getting up. "Why don't you go and prepare dinner while I prepare for school and then rest and then you can call me down when dinner is ready. Okay?"

"Okay okay." She smiled down at me and then turned and left.

I sighed, slumping back on the couch then jumping back on my feet as I remembered something very important.

I went and sat on the chair and opened my computer. Arabelle had already set up everything for me while I was in the hospital so I didn't really need to do any unpacking. Thank god my things were in a different car because the car I came in, was totally damaged in the accident. I wouldn't have survived if something happened to my stuff. Especially my shoes and makeup. That shit is too important. Probably more than my life.

Opening my email, I searched for the one that lead me here.

The email was sent by an unknown person. I even tried tracking the email but it was of no use. Whoever sent that email, closed their account right after. So it was impossible for me to track them.

The mail had a riddle. I was very surprised and shocked because, who sends a riddle through email? That's ridiculous. But I still tried figuring out what it meant. And I'd only gotten the first part of it. Which lead me here, to Colorado. It took me a whole month to figure that out. I wonder how long it will take me to do the rest.

As I was going through the riddle, I got another email. A different id but somehow, I knew it was the same person.

Opening the new mail, I was shocked and my suspicions about it being the same person was proved right.

It didn't have a riddle this time but only one sentence;

So close yet so far away, little thief.

***