83

"Valt, somebody left something for you! Wake up!"

Mum's voice floated into my head, waking me up from my slumber. I groaned and grimaced as I slowly tried to get up, the golden light blinding me. Rubbing my eyes, I forced myself to get out of bed and downstairs. "What do you want, mum! It's only seven in the morning on the weekend! Sheesh!"

"Something's been dropped of for you," Mum frowned, her eyes scanning a stack of white envelopes tied with string. My forehead creased as well. "I don't know who it is from. Who would be up at this time? It only says your name."

My curiosity peaked and I rushed over to look at the envelope. There was my name written in neat writing I could recognize so well. Shu.

Instantly, I reached for the envelopes and grabbed them. "Thanks, mum. I'll check what it is upstairs in my room."

Without waiting for her to reply, I quickly scampered back to my room, careful not to wake the twins. Shu had written letters for me. My curiosity grew even more, if that was possible. What could he possibly write about? And why to me? He's leaving to America right now. Does he want to get a response back? I shook all those questions away and flopped down onto my bed. 

I hastily tore the string and ripped the first cream-colored envelope apart. A single sheet of writing paper fell out with the oh-so familiar handwriting on it. 

Dear Valt,

I'm writing to cope with losing you.

I know this is nonsense. You were never mine in the first place. I just came back from America. I never realized how much I loved you until I was truly gone from Japan. That's why I came back after three years, because of my love for you. But your love I will never receive. But I can't be jealous. Because I never took you when I could have. But that's why it hurts so much. I simply can't be angry at you, especially whenever he's around, your beautiful brown eyes light up in happiness as you go away to talk to each other.

It lit up like it never did for me.

Like it never will light up for me.

Because you will never receive this letter, I'm just going to go ahead and say it.

I love you.

I could write a book about how much I love you, but I won't. I know my love will be unreturned.

All you would ever see is as your best friend.

Your very best friend.

Your first and closest best friend ever since from preschool.

So I will be your bestfriend. Even if it hurts like a thousand shattered pieces of glass hitting me simultaneously. I will do it. For you and your happiness. Because I know I have no chance, especially with him around.

Because I'm just your bestfriend.

Much love,

Shu.

My frowned deepened with every word I read. Confusion clouded my brain. I reached for the next letter. And very slowly, I went through your story.

----------------------

REMEMBER...VOTE...COMMENT...SHARE!!!

Word count: 519