X

© 2014 by Mpule Clarke/cheeky_gurl

~EDITED~

Chapter 10

Daniel

When I parked the car I immediately recognised the car that was parked next to mine. "I know a lot of things." My stomach dropped as I quickly made my way through the parking lot. When I opened the door the scent of stale tobacco and beer hit me. I just wanted to get Dawn and be out of this place as soon as possible.

As I pushed forward the chatter and music only got louder. A cloud of smoke puffed in front of my face when I weaved between the tables looking around carefully until a flash of dark hair in the back. The music and the smoke cloud just got louder and thicker, I was coughing but couldn't hear myself.

"I know a lot of things."

There he was, the coffee shop guy. With his arm around the brunette that was in his car earlier, he was whispering something in her ear and she giggled uncontrollable. The giggle rippled through me causing a shudder. I was at a stand still. I couldn't, didn't move. I had no idea why but I just couldn't move my eyes from the back of the dark haired girl's head.

My feet began to move towards the table, uncontrollable, I couldn't stop them. But then. They did. Along with my heart when her head swung back in laughter and I caught a glimpse of her face. It was like seeing a ghost. I was sick to my stomach, I couldn't stand there and leave her like this. I needed to tell her the truth.

Her movements were clumsy and fluid like. I just stood there staring at her until the coffee shop guy caught my eye and raised an eyebrow at Dawn before whispering in her ear again. The way he did it made me so angry. After all he said...

"Dawn," heat crawled up my neck slowly and I walked over to their table "Come on. Your aunt needs you home."

"Heyyy Dannyy!" she sounded airily "Iwasjust thinking aboutyou."

I blinked at her grinning face and she burped then giggled.

"Thisis Oliver," her hands rested on the coffee shop guy and he grinned what seemed to be sheepishly at me but I knew better.

"Hey, I saw your friend and I thought she looked a little down and needed some cheering up," I knew better than that too.

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"We're leaving," I said stiffly never shifting my eyes from him.

"But..." Dawn complained drunkenly.

I sighed and picked her up. Seriously, she weighed nothing. I was cradling her and her head dropped to my chest.

"She's having fun dad," Oliver smirked.

"Yeah?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Youhavereallyprettyeyes," I looked down at her and her eyes were glassy and empty but staring at me with wonder.

I looked back at Oliver and he just shrugged and picked up his beer.

"Andyousmell likeheaven," her voice was softer this time and I turned away from Oliver and made my way through the haze and loud music.

"See you around, Danny!" I didn't look back.

The entire drive to Dawn's house I kept thinking and hesitating. How was I going to tell her? What better time to tell her than now? Just do it Daniel! But I didn't. Couldn't. She is drunk, she won't remember. Right? Right.

When I pulled up to her house her aunt was home but, she didn't ask much. The first thing I noticed was the brightness of the walls and it took a while for my eyes to adjust. She lead me up to Dawn's room where I set down her sleeping figure in the middle of her bed. I straightened myself out and took a deep breath. Her room was average sized, green, neat and looked like if someone barely lived here minus the fact that she had a few personal items scattered about here and there. It looked like a visitor's room, like someone was just waiting for a cue to disappear.

I turned to leave.

"I hurt myself today

To see if I still feel..."

Her haunting voice echoed through the room and caused my stomach to clench. I didn't look back at her. I didn't have the courage.

"What have I become

My sweetest friend

Everyone I know goes away.."

I couldn't move. Couldn't breathe. Couldn't think. Everything seemed to go silent as her voice got louder and stronger. I felt the guilt all over me and my eyes began to sting. Couldn't stand to be in here. I felt sick to my stomach, but I couldn't leave. No. Her voice was keeping me in place. She held me by the truth of her words. I couldn't stand anymore. I slid down, my back against the side of her bed, keeping my knees up with my head placed tightly between them. I never did Dawn.

"I wear this crown of thorns..."

My tongue was held to the roof of my mouth and I felt dampness on my knees through the fabric of the trousers.

"You are someone else

I am still right here..."

Her voice was getting softer, gradually, but still filled with the same haunted emotion and the knot in my stomach grew tighter and bigger. It pained me physically.

"I will let you down

I will make you hurt..."

You can never let me down Dawn... not unless you stop fighting... not unless you give up.

"If I could start again..."

You did Dawn.

"A million miles away..."

You are.

"I would keep myself..."

You're doing that.

"I would find a way..."

Her voice was a whisper. A cry of the wind, heard but unnoticeable. Then all went silent, nothing stirred in the wake of the voice of an angel.

"Dawn I'm..." I stood up suddenly with the need to confess. But something came over me when my eyes fell on her.

I will find a way.

The last words of the song ricocheted through my mind and I realised what she really needed. She didn't need a continuation. She needed a new beginning.

Long dark distorted lines stained her face, peacefully at rest as her tense eyebrows fell apart.

I'll find a way, Dawn.

--

A/N

The song mentioned is the song to the side (I know the song is supposedly about a heroine addiction but it's beautiful and I found it fit well with what Dawn was going through :)

Thanks for reading.