II

Dedicated to @_ackles for the amazing cover of my new story 'Graceless'

EDITED

© 2014 by Mpule Clarke/cheeky_gurl

Chapter 2

Dawn

His lip was busted and he had a few gashes scattered about his face which was in a scowl.

His dark eyebrows were pulled together in thought and his gaze was distant, I bet he didn't even notice me when he handed Dr. Olen his file.

"Well Daniel," his eyebrows fell and his eyes were set on the middle aged doctor "I'll have Dawn here fix you up," his pale green eyes shifted to me and they widened but he quickly covered his surprise with a smirk.

I didn't even notice he had on a lab coat the volunteers wore.

"This one's pretty cute!" Olen stage whispered as she passed me to go back to her office.

I didn't even flush, I wanted to hit her. I eyed him warily before I walked over to the examination table where he was situating himself.

"If you're an volunteer," I started searching the counter top for more cotton balls but I had to settle for the sanitary wipes, "can't you do this for yourself?"

This seemed to have amused him somewhat.

"You know," he flinched and his voice wavered when I passed the wipe over his cheek "when a hot guy shows up to be taken care of, you just swoon, sigh and do what is needed, no questions asked."

"Good thing that's not our scenario," he chuckled and winced, probably hurt like hell to move his cheeks "now shut up, you're hurting yourself." He just rose an eyebrow and complied silently.

"Do you want the numby thingy?" I asked leaning onto the counter behind me, facing him.

"The numby thingy?" he raised an eyebrow and I nodded.

"D-did I stutter?" I gave him a dry look.

"Um... I'm not sure I trust someone who doesn't know the names of the drugs that they'll be using on me to stick a needle in and out—repeatedly—of my face..." he trailed off but he didn't look a bit worried.

I actually smiled at his logic and turned around shrugging before he could see my upturned lips. I searched the counter for the anaesthetics careful not to knock anything over—I really didn't like to clean up—and got a syringe from the tray.

He was smirking making me cringe at how bad his eyes showed how much it hurt.

"Stop it you're hurting yourself."

It was quite awkward, the silence and being so close to his face, and it showed how uncomfortable he felt on his face. His eyes would always shift to mine whenever I looked up at his and I'd always look down and go back to stitching up his cheek.

When I was finishing up his sixth and final stitch my finger accidentally touched his lip and I felt him stiffen when I was cutting the thread.

Why would you approach me if I made you uncomfortable?

I made a lot of people uncomfortable actual, I had lots of pity parties. What can you do?

I felt the tears coming to my eyes already and I couldn't stop them this time. I quickly turned and pretended to occupy myself at the counter behind me. Hearing the paper on the examination table crumple I quickly wiped my eyes but it was to no avail. They just kept flowing.

Then I felt a hand on my shoulder that made my flinch away but it was no use. I was hugged anyway, it felt good to be hugged and not spoken to.

"No fraternising with the patients Sen," I heard Olen's voice say sternly making me jump back and quickly wipe my eyes. When I looked at her she didn't look angry, just smug.

"Well," Daniel said awkwardly "I better go."

That day I spent my lunch with Maia who was trying tirelessly to list movies I've never heard of in attempt to keep the conversation going, but it didn't matter because my mind was stirring on Daniel, he reminded me of someone...