III

EDITED

                                             © 2014 by Mpule Clarke/cheeky_gurl

                                                                      Chapter 3

                                                                        Daniel

I didn’t expect her to not recognize me. Was she delirious or was she just that cruel?

I didn't think I'd be so affected by her again, I mean, it's been two years for Christ's sake! Two, bloody years without as much as a, "Hey! No need to worry, but I'm alive," But I can't get mad at her... I knew why she left. She didn't have to explain anything.

 I sighed into my coffee and looked up acknowledging my surrounding for the first time since I walked into the little diner that was a five minute walk away from the hospital. It was empty for this time of the day, which was strange seeing as it is lunch hour and all. A few people stood in the line at the counter and others were seated at various locations surrounding me. I literally knew none of them.

 Looking back down into the book that I was reading-I didn't want to read this book in public because I'll get upset, and that will look very strange -which was quite depressing, I must admit. Whilst I was having my internal battle on whether or not I should put away the book and get back to the hospital I heard someone clearing their throat, I honestly thought it was Dawn but soon realised that the noise was far too masculine and far too hostile. I tilted my head up only to meet a pair of icy blue, cold and recently familiar eyes. Instantly I felt my jaw tightened and my eyes narrowed.

 "May I help you?" I said in the most charming voice possible.

 "Yes," he said and then tilted his head to the left gingerly and raised an eyebrow "In fact, you can help yourself out of my seat."

 My eyebrow raised higher than his currently was. I was baffled as to how stupid he was. I'm sure he was in a gang or something; he had a couple scars and bruises before our scuffle outside of the hospital.

 "Oh," I said in an innocent voice trying to ignore the stares and the glares from the workers that we were receiving "I'm sorry, I didn't realise they had seats reserved for uneducated twits... such as, yourself, of course."

 "See you got a smart mouth Brit boy," he replied calmly even though his eyes were narrowed dangerously.

 I just shrugged and brought my now lukewarm cup of coffee to my lips but, smiled at him before it took a sip.

 "Who are you?" Yes, admittedly, I had a fight with an idiot-whose name I didn't even know. I saw him around a bit before today... he was always around the hospital, quite shady if you ask me.

 "Why are you still here?" he hissed, "I said to get out of my seat."

 I raised the corner of my lip in response.

 "And this time your little girlfriend won't be able to stitch you up."

My blood turned cold, and then, hot simultaneously "How do you...?" I trailed off.

"I know a lot of things," he smirked and shot up his eyebrows before turning around "See you around, Evans," he strolled off chuckling to himself, like he completely forgot about even sitting down or ordering anything.

 How did he know my surname?

 How did he even know about Dawn or the fact that she nursed me?

Gripping my forehead I shuddered and groan.