VII

© 2014 by Mpule Clarke/cheeky_gurl

~EDITED~

Chapter 7

Dawn

The door clicked shut behind me and my eyes adjusted to the dark of the house, I didn't bother to put on the light because it was late for one and two I knew she wasn't coming home anytime soon. I shuffled all the way to my room in the darkness stubbing my foot occasionally. My mind was fuzzy the whole night. I kept thinking about Daniel saying that he had an older brother. I was so sure that he was my Daniel. The Daniel I knew was an only child. Or he could be lying.

The thoughts were still floating in my head as I opened the door to my room and locked it behind me. I was enjoying the darkness of the moment so I just left the light off and felt around my bed for my laptop before dragging off my jeans and cardigan allowing the cold air to stick to my skin before I got under the covers.

When I opened my laptop my eyes were screaming about the brightness. It's been months since I checked my Facebook, I made a big deal out of checking it rarely because I knew how it can affect me if I'm not in the right mind-set. I always made sure I was offline.

Thirt-seven new notifications. Boy, that had to be a record... I hesitated when I put the cursor over the glowing globe, gripping the duvet as I clicked.

Lawrence Nichols tagged you in a status.

Rebecka, Emily, Sarah and five other people liked a post you were tagged in (51 likes total)

Reckecka comment on a post you were tagged in.

Nigel, Anna and twelve other people liked a post you were tagged in (43 likes total)

And so on and such forth with a couple of game requests. What could be this 'oh so popular post'? My breath hitched and I grasped tighter at the duvet. I should click it and get it over with, they were half way across the globe, I mean how bad can they hurt me from there?

So I clicked it.

Where are you Paki? My family was from Orissa, India...

Rebecka Handler: Probably in a home for poor homeless pregnant teens. (5 likes) I was in an orphanage before I ran away.

Emma Chase: Becka! How could you? *gasps* unmarried Indian girls don't get pregnant!(8 likes) They probably knew I had sex with Daniel.

Rebecka Handler: Right, I literally forgot. Bet she's married to that white boy.(3 likes) But you're white too Rebecka... last time I checked you liked Daniel. She knew my dad didn't like Daniel because he wanted me to marry an Indian boy.

Nicole : Stop it girls! You're being horrid! She was my neighbour since I could remember, we never really spoke but our parents always forced us together since we were the only Indians living in the 'neighbourhood' which was actually a gated community with acres between the house.

Lawrence Nichols: OH MY GOD you girls are evil! Nicole... calm down Paki... it's just a joke. (20 likes) He had it out for me ever since I 'blew him off' for Daniel.

Nicole never responded after that. It hurts, I knew, I mean it took me a couple months to not cry and get depressed off of things like this. The conversation went on for about fifty more comments but I didn't bother to read them because I knew that they could break me... And yet I still felt the tears and the emptiness in my heart.

"You look shitty," I swear my aunt had the mentality of a teenage girl on her period when it came to leaving for work on Saturday mornings.

"Gee," I mumbled shuffling to a seat by the island "Thanks, glad to know mausi."

"You welcome," she reached over the island pinched my cheek "You such a... what do the Americans say?"

"A loser?" My eyebrow rose as the kettle started to scream on the stove behind her.

"Uh-huh," she nodded at my response pouring some of the water into a tea cup on the counter "Loser, I got to go but, promise me you do laundry, okay?"

"Ugh, whatever."

The phone began to ring as soon as the front door closed behind her and I had to walk all the way around the island to get the phone which was on the counter behind it.

"Hello?" I called into the receiver casually.

"..."

"Look," I states flatly "Rebecka, Emma, whoever, this isn't funny and I'll call the police."

"..."