Chapter 1

13.

The number will have significance for you forever.

"I don't care. I don't care. Just fuck me, baby. I need you." As soon as those 13 words left her lips, you knew that this was different. She was different. What you felt for her was unlike anything you had experienced in your life. Even though you knew she was in heat, you just couldn't say no.

The need in you ignited in a way that scared the holy hell out of you. Her smell was drawing you in. Her unmarked neck -- was both a sense of temptation and fear. Temptation because you could wake up to that smell every day, and all it would take is one real bite and she would be yours. Fear because the topic was never discussed and to mark someone without their consent is frowned upon. There have even been cases that have gone to court over unwanted markings.

But fuck... you wanted too. She was so responsive to you. Her body tightening all around you. Her moans of pleasure making your dick harder and bigger the more you pumped into her. Then you noticed a gesture. It was small but you definitely saw it.

She moved her head so you could presumably claim her. Or at least that's what you think she was doing. She was so far gone it could've been just an involuntary reaction. But the more her body moved in sync with yours, you could feel your will breaking. The Alpha in you wanted her for yourself. You couldn't take the chance that she could wind up with someone else. So having made up your mind you bit down.

The sound she made was indescribable. You wish you could have it on a loop. Her back arched so beautifully. Her nails dug deep into your sides as you started to knot her. It was a surreal moment. She called your name but by that point, you had already come inside of her. The first time you had ever done that to a woman unprotected.

You thought once the haze of her heat died down you would regret your decision, but you didn't. She was here, she was yours. She was - crying?

Shit! What if I was wrong? What if she didn't want to be mated? Fuck, she's gonna hate me!

You were so afraid that she would push you away, but then she dropped the bombshell of all bombshells.

"Fated mates."

As she said it everything made sense. The need to see her, her smell being a non-stop aphrodisiac, the longing for the weekend to end just so you could see her at work. The way her voice sounded to you, how you found yourself jerking off at the thought of her. Even going so far as to get a chocolate-scented candle to replicate her smell. You jerked off repeatedly to her staff photo in the company directory online. It was like she was made to fuck your life up in the best way possible. And unlike you, she had known since the two of you met. How she managed to stay sane for as long as she did was absolutely amazing.

It wasn't even hard for you to admit that you loved her. Truthfully, you knew since that first kiss at the club. The energy between the two of you was electric. But she still surprised you when she gave you the option of walking away. Like you could ever do that. She was your mate now and if she was pregnant you would take care of your own.

Knowing all these things it was an easy decision to ask her to mate you. And boy did she ever mate you. It was painful as fuck. Her limbs were wrapped around you, her body pressed firmly into yours as she dug her teeth in. Her arousal was swirling around the room, and you easily got swept up in it. Once it was done you felt different. You felt whole. You didn't realize you were empty until she came into your life, but now it was undeniable. You would give this woman the world or whatever she wanted. She had you. Hook, line, and sinker.

ONE MONTH LATER

When you found her on the mattress that day there was so much fear in you. Was it your own, or was it hers? You weren't sure, but what was certain was that growl she gave you. It wasn't playful, coy or sexy. It meant only one thing.