Chapter 13

Namjoon's eyes don't leave yours as Yuta releases his hug from you. You have a mixture of emotions hitting you. You are happy to see him because he is a person you considered to be a friend but you absolutely didn't want your next meeting to be like this. You broke up with him before you and Yuta became an official couple - well technically it wasn't a break-up since you weren't an official couple - but that doesn't mean you didn't feel any guilt about the abruptness of it. The mateship is all that has dominated your senses so it left little room for the consequential fallout that would occur from your actions.

Thankfully Natalie and your great uncle start the festivities with food and drinks, so people start to mingle within themselves. You seize the opportunity to pull Natalie off to the side and question her.

"Natalie, what the fuck?!" You whisper. "Why is Namjoon here? We haven't spoken since well-" you let the words hang in the air as you let your eyes drift to Yuta.

"I know Boss, I'm so so sorry. One of the ladies accidentally invited him. His name was still in your personal contact list. I didn't get a chance to co-sign the invites since I had to book catering and create a registry for you and clear schedules for the employees." Natalie's face twists with worry but you can't dwell on it because Namjoon is making a move squarely in your direction. Natalie realizes this and asks "Should I run interference?" Her determined face shows she's ready to pounce if need be, but you just pat her shoulder with a sigh.

"No, I'm a President for a reason. Get yourself something to eat. You've earned it. I'll let you know if I need anything," your hands squeeze hers in reassurance as she walks past Namjoon who finishes his walk towards you. You put on your brightest smile and say "Hey! I didn't expect to see you here."

Which is ABSOLUTELY the truth.

"Can we talk? Alone? I won't take up too much of your time." Namjoon's deep voice sends a familiar shiver up your neck. The memories of being tangled under and over him, kissing his chest, pulling his hair and your favorite part, him moaning your name over and over resurface and your body reacts with a warm blush. However, you are painfully aware that your mate is keeping a close eye on this exchange so you bury that nostalgic feeling as quickly as it began.

"Of course," you turn and exit the room and walk a few steps away from the conference door. Before you can react Namjoon brings you into a warm cologne fueled hug. It's familiar with no sense of malice in it.

"I've missed you." He whispers softly. "I'd guess I'd be a fool to think you'd miss me." You slowly pull away from him and smile at him.

"Of course I've missed you. I just- well- things happened so incredibly fast and I didn't think it was right or fair to reach out. Truth be told I was scared. I was scared, you hated me for never giving us a real chance. I swear I didn't plan any of this. It's just, he's my mate. My fated mate," you say in a rush and some tears building up. "I saw him at a bar and then he came to work here. Once he was here I knew I couldn't continue our romance because you deserved better than a woman who couldn't give her all to you. I'm so fucking sorry Joonie," your shoulders start to shake as you are hit with guilt.

God, and now I'm crying in front of him. Namjoon's hand cups your cheek fondly.

"Hey, come on don't do that. This is supposed to be a happy day. No tears okay? Where's the badass Omega that made me submit to her huh? Don't tell me the Alpha tamed you that much. You didn't seem the type," he jokingly nudges your shoulder with his and you can't help but chuckle. Despite how you ended things, here he was cheering you up and making you laugh.

"Does he treat you well?" Namjoon's hands wrap around your biceps and don't let go. He is staring at you with silver eyes and you understand that even now he still cares about your well-being.