Chapter 9

They say hindsight is 20/20. Clearly I wasn't listening. The worst part is, I knew better. But again hindsight is 20/20.

ONE WEEK EARLIER

Coco is buzzing as fast as she can as she cleans the house, even though the house isn't even really dirty.

"Baby, can you please stop stressing about this call. It's my family. Not the President," you chuckle as she walks around with a feather duster.

"Listen, my mom always told me you get one shot to make an impression. If you don't you'll have to work twice as hard to make them forget that impression," she huffs as some of her hair falls into her face.

"Just be you. That's all you have to be," you say, walking up to her and kissing her forehead.

"Thanks babe. Wait? Is that a mark on the wall? Ugh!" She stomps off to whatever spot she believes she sees. You head back into your bedroom and sit down to peruse your notes on the added workload. After a few restless nights you're confident with your work. You're going to secure that bump in pay.

A few hours later Coco changes into a cream colored sweater. Her hair is up - which makes her look younger, at least that is what you believe she is going for. You both sit on the couch but you notice Coco fidgeting with her hands. You calmly place your hand on hers and smile at her.

"Stop worrying." Your laptop starts to ring and upon answering, you are met with your sisters' faces on the screen.

"Yuta! Hiiiiii!" they say in unison while fighting over the phone.

"Hey guys. I'd like you to meet-"

"Yuta, she's so pretty. Oh my gosh. Wait, can she understand us?" Your sister's face creases in worry.

"I can understand enough to get by. Yuta is nice enough to teach and correct me in my speech," Coco says shyly. There's something about her trying to speak in your native tongue that makes you fall even more for her.

"Oh Yuta, Mom and Dad are coming. We'll catch up." They exit the screen and soon you are staring at your parents. They smile at you, but you notice your mothers' eyes zero in on Coco.

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Nakamoto. I hope you had a lovely trip," she looks at you to double-check if she said it right. You smile softly and nod.

"Mom, Dad this is my true mate," you can tell that your parents are stunned at the revelation.

"How did you two meet?" Your father asks.

"We originally met at a bar, but we actually work together." You notice a frown developing on your mother's face. Coco certainly picks up on the gesture because she's fiddling with the cuff of her sweater.

Shit, I gotta save this quick, you think to yourself.

"She's actually the President of the Purchasing Department. She had to beat out a bunch-"

"So, she's your boss?" Your mother finally speaks up.

"How exactly does that work? Aren't there rules against this sort of thing? Especially when the boss is older than her junior?" Your mother asks with a finality that would suggest she doesn't approve.

"Yuta, I'm going to go to the bathroom," she doesn't wait for your reply as she carefully gets up and walks away.

"Is she pregnant!?" Your mother says in a hushed voice.

"She is. And it's mine," you say with slight annoyance. You didn't think your mom would react this way. Sure, you expected her to be surprised but not rude.