Lone wolf

I've seen her in the woods for as long as I can remember with her striking grey eyes and dark grey fur with brown hews. She's beautiful and breathtaking all at the same time. The way she carries herself you can see she's strong. She walks with confidence. She has to be strong, living without a pack. I wonder if she had one in the beginning of her life. There's no other wolves in these parts, she won't let there be. She claimed this as her land.

I've watching her and studying her since I was twelve. I've done research and projects for school on her. I know her ways.

Today was a day that I could sense her around. She wasn't by the tree stand but I could feel her. I got the feeling anytime she was out in the woods. Whether it's hearing her in the fields or feeling her off in the woods.

Today I needed to see her. I had gone all weekend with no sign of her around. She was to my north I could feel it. I got down out of the stand and walked in that direction. A few minutes later I was at the river. Well it was more of a stream. But the rain before had made it fast and furious. Murky and swelled I couldn't even see the bottom which was usually to my waist.

I could sense my beauty right on the other side. If I could just get across I could see her. After thinking for a second on how to get across it dawned on me. A few months ago a tree had fallen over the river. It was just a mile from where I stood. This would be an easy cross.

Assessing the log I got the feeling it wouldn't be as easy as I thought. It was a large tree that had fallen. The ends on each bank seemed easy enough but in the middle it dipped closer to the roaring stream, barely a foot of the surface was above the water. I'd have to be careful. Even though I was a strong swimmer falling in this could kill me.

I decided that I had come this far so I would finish my journey by crossing. I really wanted to see my wolf.

I climbed up the giant, one foot in front of the other I was on my way. The bark gave me traction in the beginning but the middle that had dipped was rotted and stripped from being in the water for so long. I took it slow on this part. The cross was easy till this point but now I kept losing balance and slipping. The last loss of footing resulted in me tumbling face first into the cold water.

Shit was the only word going through my mind as I struggled to swim. I was a goner I could feel it. Choking up water and struggling to keep my head above surface I was starting to lose energy. I didn't know how much longer I could fight this beast. I was getting weak. One huge gush of water sent my body into the depth. Struggling I started to panic. I just managed to resurface when a log or a stone came and made contact with my head. I was out like a light.