Aftermath

Lea: before I opened my eyes, my other senses were assessing my surroundings. I could feel the soft sheets wrapped around my naked frame. I could hear breathing beside me, even and calm, but I felt worry as well as sorrow. Then I smelled the air, I picked out the smell of the forest with a hint of cedar mixed with dog and just a bit of sweet sweat.

This is what Eden smells like I realized and let out a giggle. Sure enough, I opened my eyes and Eden was there beside me, staring at me.
"What?" She asked, showing a small smirk.
"I like your smell," I told her, sitting up.
I expected to feel pain but I didn't. I sat up with ease, my body feeling young and renewed. Finally I realized what this meant.

"I'm a werewolf," my eyes widened as I remember getting bit.
Then I remembered the whole thing. I remembered the gunshots, Robert dying, shooting the man, and then falling to the ground myself. Grief shook through my body and I began to cry.

"Shhhh," Eden comforted. She got up from her seat by the bed and sat down next to me. Pulling me close, she ran her fingers through my hair.
"Robert is dead because of me," I cried.
"No no no," she said, her voice breaking as well. "We're alive because of you. Robert would be so proud of you."

"I love you," I balled into her shoulder.
"I love you too, Babygirl. So much."
At that moment I remembered what Dani had said before. I wondered where he was. Probably off helping someone or something. I wanted to apologize to him though for kicking him in the face.

"I need to apologize to Dani," I told Eden, looking up at her.
"That's gonna be hard," she said, tears filling her eyes. "He's dead."
"What?" I said in disbelief, "he's dead?"
"When I changed back to human to go to you, we were surrounded. He held on for a bit but his body was too wounded to heal itself. He died yesterday."

"Oh Eden, it's all my fault!" I cried, "if I hadn't run out there Dani wouldn't have been outside and Robert wouldn't have died protecting me!"
"Lea, snap out of it," my girlfriend said forcefully, grabbing me by the shoulders, "we're all alive because of you. If you had stayed inside more lives would have been lost. Even with the Volkov's we would've all been shot down by that gunman."
-------
Eden: "You saved me," I told Lea, pulling her close again.
After a while she began to calm down. Her body was no longer shaking and she had quit fighting me. Tears still fell from her eyes but she wasn't audibly crying anymore. I nuzzled into her hair and breathed deeply. She smelled the same except for a hint of wolf which actually kinda turned me on.

"Shit," she swore, making me open my eyes.
"What is it?" I asked, looking down at her.
"My parents."
"Already taken care of," I assured her. "Told them that my father died of a heart attack and you left school to comfort me. You were too busy consoling my mom to talk to them on the phone so I did. They said stay as long as you want. You have to call them when you can though."

She looked me in the eyes for a moment, studying me, and then kissed me softly on the lips.
"I love you," she said breaking away for a few seconds before kissing me again.
We stayed like this for a long time, just holding each other with our lips touching and our eyes closed.

Lea had a calming effect on me. Even now with everything that happened, I was okay. I was complete with her by my side and I never wanted her to leave. I would be lost without her. I would not be able to live without her. In this moment our bond felt stronger.

There was a hold on me that was pulling me closer to Lea. I knew instantly what this feeling meant. She was my mate. Lea Riddler was my mate and bound to me by a force that was greater than anything in the universe. This bond could never be broken by anything.