Chapter 44: I Can't Lose You

I decided to go and visit Steve, after all. I needed to talk to him. I needed to apologize, he didn't deserve this.

     I rang the door bell and waited for him to open the door, but instead his mother opened.

     "Mrs. Harrington? Is Steve home?", I smiled.

     "No, he didn't come home last night. I think he stayed at friend's house.", she told me.

     "Oh, okay. So I'll come back later then.", I said, leaving.

LIZ'S P.O.V.

     I woke up and saw Steve next to me. He was still asleep, and I smiled when I saw him like that. He looked so peaceful and cute. Just when I wanted to get out of bed, Steve woke up.

     "Sorry. Did I wake you up?", I asked him.

     He didn’t and answer, he was just looking at me with confusion. He was looking around to try and figure it out where is he.

     "Where am I?", he held his head. "Ugh, I have a real bad headache."

     "You were so drunk last night, so I bring you with me.", I smiled. "I didn't know where you live, so I took you here. I hope that's not a problem."

     "No, thank you. That's really kind of you, but you shouldn't have done that."

     "I couldn’t just leave you like that. I would feel horrible, so I had to do something."

     "Thank you, once again. But I think I should go now.", he got up.

     "You can stay on breakfast if you want. I don't mind.", I offered.

     "No, I really need to go.", he opened the door. "But see you at school.", he said leaving.

     "Who was that?", my sister entered the room right after Steve left.

     "Just a friend, who needed my help last night.", I answered.

     "Is he really just a friend?", she smiled, looking at me suspiciously.

     "Yes, he is.", I told her. "Now get out."

BILLY'S P.O.V.

     I was at the Pop's, sitting by myself and drinking my milkshake.

     "Well, well, well...Isn't that Billy Hargrove?", I turned around and saw Kevin, one of Betty's friends.

     "What do you want, Kevin?", I asked, already annoyed.

     "I just wanted to talk to you and ask why?", he sat across me.

     "Why what?", I frowned.

     "Betty was finally happy. With Steve. And you had to ruin all that. So I wanna know why?", he asked. "Do you like ruining people's lives? Is that your hobby or something?"

     "No, I would never do that to her. I'm in love with her!", I got angry and annoyed.

     "Then why did you run away?", he asked.

     "To not fall in love.", I lowered my head.

     "Well I guess that didn't work, did it?"

     "I loved her since the very first moment I left."

     "Damn, you're screwed."

     "Yeah, I'm hearing this same sentence a lot lately.", I chuckled. "You know...I was alone, for years. And I didn't give a shit, because I didn't know what I was missing.", I explained to him. "Then, this stubborn, beautiful, fucking blonde came barreling into my life and shoved her way through all the shadows."

     Kevin was just looking at me, I guess he didn’t have anything to say.

     "We were doomed from the start, Kevin. A lost cause. A losing battle. And yet, in that narrow instant, I didn't give a single fuck.", I said. "I thought we had a chance, but I guess I was wrong and maybe selfish too."

     "Speaking of the devil...", he pointed behind me, I turned around and saw her come in.

     It looked like, she was looking for someone. And she was, because when she spotted Steve at one of the tables, she went there.

BETTY'S P.O.V.

     I entered the Pop's, in hope I'll find Steve here. I didn't see him in school today at all, but I did find him in Pop's.

     "Steve, I think we need to talk.", I said and he didn't even look at me, he just ignored me. "I came here to explain everything and I'm not leaving until you listen.", I sat across him. "We need to talk about what happened. About us."

     "I wish that changed anything.", he just murmured, still looking at his hands on the table.

     "Please, forgive me, Steve. I need you to forgive me.", my eyes were filling with tears.

     "I'm afraid I can't.", he said.

     "I never meant for anyone to get hurt.", I explained.

     "I want to believe you, I do.", he said. "But I can't."

     "Steve...", he cut me off.

     "You know, I used to dream of the day I would meet the one.", he took a deep breath before continuing. "I thought my dream was coming true the day I met you. But I guess you're not the one and I guess dreams don't come true, do they?", he finally looked at me.

     "I guess I was never the one for you.", I said to him, shooking my head with tears in my eyes.

     One tear slipped down my cheek. I wiped it away, smiled and got up from the table cause I had nothing else to say and neither did he.

     Just when I wanted to get out, Billy appeared out of nowhere.

     "Betty, I wanted to talk to you", he said. "Are you okay?"

     "Yeah, I am. What you wanted to talk about?", I fake smiled.

     "I just wanted you to know that I'm not giving up on you. "I can't...I can't lose you. Not again."

     "Billy...", he cut me off.

     "Listen, part of me really wishes that I could forget meeting you and everything that's happened since.", he said. "But I can't lose the way I feel about you."

A/N

I have nothing else to say other than thanks for all the votes, reads and comments!