Chapter 6: I'm Her Brother

We're supposed to meet with Billy in the cinema.

     Veronica, Chuck and I took tickets before they sold out.

     "Veronica, are you sure your date will show up?", Chuck laughed.

     "He'll be here.", she looked at me.

     I wondered if Billy really meant to show up and I hoped he wouldn't.

     When Veronica sent him a message, informing him that we would enter the cinema earlier in order to take the place, he didn't answer.

     As we waited for popcorns, Chuck hugged me, and I stiffened. It seemed to me it was too much because we just got to know each other.

     He smelled so good and he was really well-dressed in a jeans and a beautiful black shirt.

     I strictly commanded to Veronica not to tell Chuck that Billy was my stepbrother.

     As Billy didn't even address me at school, people still didn't have the idea that we're ​​living together. And I liked it that way

     The relief took place when the darkness started and after they started advertising for new movies. I switched phone to vibration.

     Maybe Billy won't show up at all.

     My body relaxed slightly as Veronica checked the phone every two seconds.

     The opening line for the movie started. I dived more deeply into the armchair and stretched my legs to the empty seat in front of me.

     Chuck gave me a sign to eat his popcorn. For some time I ate popcorn and enjoyed the movie until I felt the smell of cigarettes and cologne water.
He's here.

     I wanted to wipe off her joyful expression from her face. When Billy leaned over and kissed her cheek, my appetite for popcorn quickly turned to nausea.

     I gave Chuck back his popcorn and pretended to be interested in the movie. All I actually did was move around and breathe Billy's scent.

     His presence made me angry more than I expected to.

     At some point, Chuck grabbed my hand. I froze.

     Veronica, whispered she's going to the toilet. I could see Billy clearly now, and he was looking at me.

     Though the audience around me laughed, his gloomy look was all I could see. I shouldn't have looked at him.

     I felt my phone vibrating. 'Do you practice to become a puppet or something?'

     I couldn't answer, because Chuck would see it. I looked at him and I regret it immediately.

     A true smile appeared on his lips, and my heart stopped. Then he quietly laughed, so I laughed too.

     He was right. I sat stiff like a board. I behaved insensitive.

     Veronica interrupted my moment with Billy when she passed by me, sat down. She put her head on his shoulder, which was a sign for me to look again at the movie. I wanted to be with him.

     It didn't make any sense, but there was evidence that the desire and the logic were two entirely different things.

     What if Veronica tried to kiss him tonight? What if he kisses her back? Nothing happened yet, but I couldn't cope with jealousy.

     His dates with girls from school were something I was forced to accept. I mean, he was my stepbrother, he didn't like me and he would go back to California after graduation anyway. The fact was that nothing between us could ever happen.