Chapter 21: Billy's Here

"He's dead."

At first I thought it was a dream. When the phone rang at midnight, my heart beaten fast, and when I heard those words without any introduction, it almost stopped.

"Mum? Who's dead?"

She was drowning in tears. "Your stepfather, Betty. He had a heart attack. I'm calling from the hospital. They couldn't save him."

"Mom, breathe. Please.", I felt so helpless.

Their marriage was maintained, but in the last few months they had difficulties. He never disrespected my mother like he did Billy, but he always had an unpredictable behavior, ups and downs, and living with it wasn't easy.

It's true that my mother lost her soulmate when my father died many years ago. Her marriage with my stepfather was a marriage that brought comfort and stability. He provided us with a good life.

He was the first man to enter in my mother's life those years after father's death. I always had the impression that he loved her much more than she loved him. Still, his death will turn her life upside down.

Beside me and Polly he was all her world, not to mention that this was the second husband who died.

I was shaking. "Oh God.", I took a deep breath.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, mom."

"He was dead even before they got to the hospital."

I got up immediately and started to dress up. "Listen, stay there. I come for you and then we go home. Okay?"

She sniffed. "Okay."

I hang up and explained Steve to everything. We then went to his car, and he drove me to hospital.

During the ride I was thinking of his death.

Will I have to give up my dreams and plans and stay with my mother? And then I remembered.

Billy.
Billy.
Oh, my God. Billy.

Did he know about his father? Will he come to the funeral? Will I have to see him?

I put my hand on Steve's, squeezing it tight. He squeezed back.

Even after a year, my only true suffering was still my stepbrother.

Now I have suffered again because of him, but different because not only that my mother lost her husband, but Billy just lost his father.

He was too young to die. Yes, his relationship with Billy was horrible, and the fact that they had never make up, teared me up.

The feelings towards him didn't change even when I started dating Steve.

There's so many things I've never found out. But I knew I wanted somebody like him. What I learned from that period with Billy is that sexual desire and fulfillment are as important as emotional bonds.

I was hoping I would feel the real connection with somebody again. And that's what happened with Steve.

The next few days will bring a lot of unknowns. I will need to help my mother organize the funeral, and it will spell memories of the awful time we had to do for my dad.

My mum send me a text that she already got home, so we had to turn back.

When we got in front of the house, his car was parked on a trail. I unlocked the house with my keys and found my mother as she sat looe in the tea cup in the kitchen with the lights off. She didn't even notice I went in.

"Mum?"

Her eyes was red and full of tears when she looked at me. I ran and hugged her.

Dirty plates, after their dinner, were still in the sink, indicating how his death was sudden and unexpected, how life could change in the moment.