The Fall and The River

So many different thoughts flash through my mind as I fall.

My fall isn't the most spectacular one, admittedly, but within moments I start to panic as I realize that there is no coming back from this.

I break through the thin sheet of ice covering the river from the force of my fall. I'm plunged into its icy depths, and I cry out in pain. The water is even colder here, and I wince as ice starts to latch to my fur and freezes in place.

I try to yell for some form of help, but only air comes out. Without any oxygen, I breathe in water instinctively, but my body rejects the foul liquid immediately.

This cycle continues on, and it doesn't help that I'm stuck in a raging current of water pulling me downstream. My head hits against the ice frozen above me, and I realize that I'm trapped.

There's no way out.

My eyes clamp shut from the pain of the water, and I hold whatever breath I have in order to try and survive.

But... there is no surviving this.

My fists pound against the ice, and I rage against the current, but it won't never let me go.

Just stop, and let it take you away.

I slowly begin to relax, and my eyes open to see a growing darkness. My vision is already cutting out, and... the ice only gives off so much light...

There's nothing left for you to do...

As my darkest thoughts slowly convince myself, I let my breath out, and the mix of air and water slowly bubbles to the surface...

It's okay...

I let the current take me away, letting myself drift to wherever the river takes me, and... what's that light? It's odd, because the gleam of the lamppost above has more than ebbed by this point. Maybe it's that light before death that so many people talk about? But I don't know what that means for me though, since I'm... killing myself...

I'll be alright after this...

The light moves toward me, and in a few moments it finds me. I'm confused for a moment, but... it's a real light...

Just...

The light is no hallucination — I can hear a muffled noise coming from above the ice, but I can't tell what it's saying. My vision grows spotty, and in a few moments, I can feel my senses fading to black. I'm... almost there... no more pain... one last dull thud echoes above me, and I can finally...

Let.

Go.