Chapter Two: Shock Is In the Air!

Chapter Two: Shock is in the Air!

The short & stout, grey haired man turned out to be the Principal of the school. And currently we were in his office where he was coldly staring at us with his small black eyes as if we were the prime suspects of a Sherlock Holmes case.

"Mr Spencer," the head master addressed the blue-eyed jerk standing beside me, "And you are???"

"W-Wilson." I answered when his questioning gaze fell on me.  I also noticed, through the corner of my eye, the Spencer jerk raising his brow at me.

"New student, right?" the Principal asked me.

I nodded meekly, hoping that he would turn out to be a patient suffering from short term memory loss & would forget about detention but his next words confirmed how rotten my luck was!

"Mr Spencer, Ms Wilson" he began in an icy calm voice," creating a raucous in the corridors right outside my office isn't exactly a heroic thing to do. Both of you have an option of either a week detention together or a two week detention together."

My eyes shot wide open, "One week detention with him! That's practically impossible for humankind!"

"I don't want to risk my bright IQ by serving detention with this psycho!" I heard Spencer jerk protest.

"You have an IQ???" I looked at him, giving my best shocked expressions, "Is it the joke of the decade or joke of the century???"

"Since you didn't react to my calling you a psycho, it confirms that you are one." he shrugged calmly.

My brain was ready in an instant with a smart answer to that & I opened my mouth to give it back to him---

"STOP."

The headmaster yelled, the pulse in his temple was throbbing red in fury.

"The options are now changed to three week detention or four week detention." he muttered in anger.  

My mouth hung open in shock.  I saw the Principal taking quick heavy breaths one after the other as if he just realized that air is distributed free of cost to the world.

After he calmed himself down, the headmaster spoke, "Either accept the one week detention together without arguing or believe me, I will not at all be in a nail-biting situation after suspending both of you."

"We agree to the detention." Spencer spoke instantly.

For a change, I nodded in agreement with him.

The Principal scribbled some words on a notepad & handing it over to us, he spoke, "These are a couple of topics on Economics. Starting tomorrow, sit in the library everyday after school hours for one week. Hunt for information about them & write three pages on each topic."

Economics?, I groaned inwardly. This subject is as good as a sleeping pill to me.

*****

"Mark Wilson, where is your assignment??"

"Over here!" I arrived at the door of the classroom, just in time when the English teacher Miss Martin was sharply questioning my fumbling brother.

The teacher & all the students in the class had their eyes set on me.

"And you are---??" Miss Martin asked quizzically, nodding at me to walk in.

"Andrea Wilson, new student." I replied, submitting Mark's project to her with one hand & giving her my slip with the other.