Chapter Twenty Eight: The Heart That Beats

NOTICE: I've changed my username from 'enchantedgirlXX' to 'HazelEyes_1' :) Now you can read the chapter peacefully :p

Chapter Twenty Eight: The Heart That Beats

That morning I arrived at school early so as to drop by at the football field. I got there to see the team training with full zeal & energy. I sat on of the seats at the stands to watch them play. To tell the truth, for me atleast, being a spectator to a game of football is as thrilling as playing the sport itself. The boys were kicking some amazing shots & everyone seemed to be in top form-- Mark, Drake, Daniel, Drake & the rest of the players—

Hey! Wait a sec! Did I mention Drake twice by any chance??

 Oh God! That might be because I’m only looking at him. I’m supposed to watch the entire team play the sport but my eyes were only following Drake in the entire field. I tried to divert my gaze off him but I ended up watching him again. Damn!! Its like my eyes are cheating on me by holding the image of the blonde haired guy every time....

The coach blew the whistle. It was break time for a while. I saw Mark & Drake who seemed to be discussing some field tactics with the coach while the rest of the players relaxed their heels. I saw Daniel waving at me & I waved back, returning his smile.

“Hey wassup?” he asked approaching me, sitting down on the seat next to me.

“Seems like you guys are practicing extra hard today!” I exclaimed, as he gulped down water from his bottle, “Is there an important match on the way?”

“Yep! We are playing against Mount High next weekend.” Daniel spoke, “Both our school & theirs have been like arch enemies since a decade. So there’s a lot of crowd from various schools who come to watch this particular match cause its all the more interesting & nerve biting, considering the ‘rivalry’ factor. Our football team of every year has always defeated them in all the matches but this year, it seems they have very good players so winning’s gonna be tough for us.”

“We will surely win this time around too! We’ve an excellent team this year also!”

“Yeah. And Drake’s a very good captain, though he is being a tough taskmaster to make sure we win.”

After a pause, he spoke again,

“Hey! Why don’t me & you have a running match right now?”

“Watch out Mr Goalkeeper! You will surely lose!” I said with a smug smile.

“That is to be seen, isn’t it?”

The football field was empty since the players were in the dressing room.

Daniel & I stood at the starting point, bracing ourselves for the run. We agreed to take one round of the field & whoever reaches this starting point first, wins.

“Ready. Get Set. Go.”

We said at the same time & took off to our heels. I don’t want to sound boastful but I’m a good runner. I was running ahead of him but very soon he caught up and, well, raced ahead of me. Fine! I may not be that a good runner but I like to win! Ha!

“Hey! Look out! There’s a caterpillar!”

No sooner did I shout that, his feet halted in alarm.

“Where? Where?” Daniel asked in fear, looking around.

“Nowhere!”  I teased, racing ahead of him. I know he is shit scared of caterpillars!