Chapter Forty-Eight

Layla.

“I told him that this would happen. We all knew that it would,” Zayn said angrily before he walked over to a tree, and kicked it in aggravation, causing the tree to fall down in front of us with a loud noise. It also landed on the lamia guards, and I cringed slightly as I almost felt sorry for them.

“Zayn, you’re going to let them know where we are!” Louis snapped, and sighed quietly before shaking his head. No one paid much attention to him, I guess them finding us wasn’t something that was at the top of our list since Harry’s life was in danger.

“What are you even doing here, Zayn?” I couldn’t stop myself from asking. “Don’t you hate me, and witches?”

He sighed, and ran his fingers through his rain drenched hair. He was keeping his distance from me. “I’m here to help, that’s all.” That was all he said on the subject, and I decided to let it go since it appeared that he was tired of talking about it and defending his actions.

I crossed my arms to help bring the chill off of my body, and Justin took off his jacket to give to me, but I shook my head, nodding toward Emma who was shivering just as much as me. Reluctantly, he put the jacket around her shoulders, causing her to smile at him in thanks. I was still cold, though it cheered me up slightly to know that I was at least doing their relationship some good.

Suddenly, a jacket was draped on my shoulders too, and I was a bit shocked to see that Zayn had given me his. I nodded a bit at him in thanks, and he nodded back. I felt weird that he was helping us, but somehow I kind of expected him to do a complete three-sixty degree move, and turn into a good guy.

“So what are we going to do?” I asked, and looked around at the three vampires as I clutched Zayn’s jacket further on my shoulders. I was probably a bit colder than Emma was considering she had on more layers than me. “We can’t just stand here and see if he’ll turn up. He’s being sent straight into a trap that’s meant to kill him.”

We aren’t going to do anything,” Justin suddenly said, and sighed quietly as he looked at me. “You and Emma aren’t, actually. Louis, Zayn, and I are going to find Harry and bring him back. You both are going to stay here.”

“Excuse me?” Emma said, and raised her eyebrows. “I am not human, Justin. And I can take care of myself.”

“So can I,” I spoke up, and crossed my arms. “You’re not doing this, Justin. I’m going to help.”

“Me too,” Emma agreed, and crossed her own arms.

“Neither of you are going to help,” Justin snapped, and looked at the both of us before settling his gaze on me. “Layla, for nearly twenty-four hours I thought you were dead. I thought that you were dead, and that you were never coming back, and that I’d never get to see you again.” He paused, and looked to the other female. “Emma, I almost died when I heard that you were missing, and that you could’ve been dead. I knew that they were going to try to kill you, babe.” He sighed quietly, and shut his eyes. “I am not going through any of that ever again. You’re both staying here, and that’s final,” He said through his teeth before looking at the other two vampires. “Come on, guys. Let’s go save our mate.”

The three of them disappeared into the forest, and I scoffed slightly before looking at Emma. “Do they really think we’re going to stay here?” I asked her, my voice a bit lower just in case they were still in hearing rang.

Her lips twitched with humor as her eyes went far away then focused back on me. “No. But that’s why they ran as fast as they could so that we couldn’t see what direction they were going in.” She tapped her temple. “I don’t think they realize that I know their moves before they even make them.”